PM2244 problem

Janello

If I use nothing finer than 120 and I don't get greedy, I don't have burning issues unless I try to sand a big panel of something stupid dense like bubinga.  Domestics go off without a hitch unless the paper is getting old.  Appropriate grit and very light passes are the key.

I run a wide range of grits.  I find that the finer the grit the lighter the cut and faster the feed rate required to avoid burning or build-up.  The paper I use can be dropped in the sink and scrubbed with a wire brush to get the tough stuff off.  I hang the strip over a dowel and spring clamp a weight to each end while it dries.  This greatly extends my useful life of the paper but, remember that abrasives are a wear part like brakes on a car.  No matter how long they last there comes a point of diminishing returns. 

Knots, sap streaks and pockets ( cherry esp. ) and bark inclusions all have the tendency to load the abrasive with resin and cause a burn. Running a board at a diagonal angle will spread the resin over a larger width , but sometimes you have to clean quite frequently. Very light passes, medium feed rate and constant vigilance is nessasary. At the first sign of a burn turn the drum off but leave the conveyor running or the drum can dig a groove across the entire board.