My jig for cutting inside curves

collinb

11 hours ago, Janello said:

Even with a small blade thats not going to give you a finished surface and you would want to finish it on an oscillating spindle sander. In which case i can free hand close to the line in the same amount of time it takes you to grab the jig. 

But one day you are going to invent the mint if you keep trying.

Next step is to build a larger version for upcoming table project. I'm thinking someing hinting of French Provincial. An inside curve on the front, veneered. Tapered legs. More to come.

Though it will not give a finished surface (something I wouldn't expect from a band saw in any case) its goal is to reduce sanding in a curve, a position which seems prone to error.  I think this could reduce sanding from two steps ( volume material removal, smoothing) to one (smoothing).   That seems a valuable benefit.

While I'm not going to retire on this invention it should make some project work simpler.

tableCorner.jpg

21 minutes ago, collinb said:

Next step is to build a larger version for upcoming table project.

Though it will not give a finished surface (something I wouldn't expect from a band saw in any case) its goal is to reduce sanding in a curve, a position which seems prone to error.  I think this could reduce sanding from two steps ( volume material removal, smoothing) to one (smoothing).   That seems a valuable benefit.

While I'm not going to retire on this invention it should make some project work simpler.

Not sure how big this table is that your building, but trying to support a table top at the bandsaw and then having to sand all those saw marks out is much harder to do than making one of these and using a router. Sometimes it makes sense to bring the wood to the tool and some times bringing the tool to the wood (like in this case) makes more sense. This simple jig can be used with a hand held router and pattern bit. You could actually use your bandsaw jig to create the jig and then use it for consistent inside curves that will need very little sanding.

curve_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...