Best Vacation

chrisphr

I'm going to recommend and brag on one of the best couple day getaways I have ever had: Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Stayed at historic Brown Hotel in Louisville, toured 5 distilleries and Churchill Downs.

Beautiful countryside, Woodford was located in the middle of a thoroughbred farm, Makers Mark located after an 8 mile trip on a single lane road for example. Highlight of the trip was the aging warehouses, the smell of thousands of barrels aged up to 25 years giving off what they call the "angels share", the liquor that evaporates through the breathing, charred barrels. And the smell was heavenly... Three days of tastings and a return home with 9 bottles of top shelf.

The tours were awesome, each distillery had a different personality and gave you an appreciation for the craftsmanship of quality bourbon.

For fun: What has your best getaway/vacation/holiday been?

Pictures of me dipping my own bottle of Makers and the booty after the first day of shopping.

22bc24164ce262e4a3c3afb449bb55ba.jpg

36d9aa4725557c17074b876f6e799617.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My wife's uncle has taken the same trail and swears by it. Glad you had a great time. I won't comment on the booty other than it looks like she was impressed by the way you dipped your bottle

Is it getting hot in here? Whew, well done good sir!

• Like 2

Booty, like in the sense of pirates booty, not boo-atay kind of booty. I'll clarify next time : The fanciest it got on this trip was the Blantons. I've ordered Pappy van winkle at every place it was on the menu and always it is out of stock. One place in New Orleans (different trip) had the 23 year at $255 a 1oz pour... For another day...

I was there a couple weeks ago, I'm a "Makers mark ambassador", sign up for free and they put your name along with a bunch of other people's names on a barrel and when it's ready in 6-7 years you can come buy a bottle from that particular barrel.  Was a really cool tour, did the Woodford Reserve one for a Valentines Day thing a few years ago, had a tour and fancy dinner, was pretty cool as well.  Of course I grew up in Woodford county and live in one county over, so all a short drive for me.  

25C308EC-0E70-493E-8A4C-297EDF70F24E_zps

As far as best vacation, I went to a Sandals resort for my honeymoon in Jamaica, that place was beyond amazing, hope to go back some day.

• Like 1

Booty, like in the sense of pirates booty, not boo-atay kind of booty. I'll clarify next time : The fanciest it got on this trip was the Blantons. I've ordered Pappy van winkle at every place it was on the menu and always it is out of stock. One place in New Orleans (different trip) had the 23 year at $255 a 1oz pour... For another day...

Blanton's is my favorite go to bourbon.  

I have been buying Pappy from the same store since 2008.  Every year I get at least a 20 yr and two 12 or 10 years.  I pay retail, about $100 for the 20 yr.   Its good but not worth $500 a bottle or whatever people pay on the secondary market.    I have had them all and the 12 yr is probably my favorite.  

!!!!!You are getting 12yr for $100? Lucky dog! You've got a great source.

Most recent price I've heard for the 23yr was $1000. I like me some quality bourbon, but not that much. I'm still beside myself at the $255 pour the restaurant quoted.

They usually give people a heads up here and raffle off tickets to buy bottles but usually at regular price.  I'm usually too busy with stuff to go try, hoping to get one of the bottles one day, I've got multiple bottles of Woodford and Makers laying around.  The best bottle of bourbon I've had was Woodford Reserves masters collection, I think they change it up and it was 5 years ago but it was def the best I've had.

• Like 1

Thanks for the vacation story. The missus and I have been talking about the Bourbon Trail Tour for a while now. Makers Mark is the every day bottle and every now and then I treat myself to the Blantons. Someone clued me in that there are 16 or 20 different jockey figures on the stopper, we have about six or seven in a little sack. Something to work toward! Most expensive drink I've ordered out was Johnny Walker Blue Label. Over $ 200 for a bottle, was $ 27 for a neat pour in a nice restaurant. 

Speaking of scotch, the same missus and I recently toured Scotland and half a dozen or so distilleries, Highland Park, Glen Morangie, Tobermory and a few others. Learned much that I did not know and the Scottish people are some of the friendliest that we have run into. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the vacation story. The missus and I have been talking about the Bourbon Trail Tour for a while now. Makers Mark is the every day bottle and every now and then I treat myself to the Blantons. Someone clued me in that there are 16 or 20 different jockey figures on the stopper, we have about six or seven in a little sack. Something to work toward! Most expensive drink I've ordered out was Johnny Walker Blue Label. Over $ 200 for a bottle, was $ 27 for a neat pour in a nice restaurant. 

Speaking of scotch, the same missus and I recently toured Scotland and half a dozen or so distilleries, Highland Park, Glen Morangie, Tobermory and a few others. Learned much that I did not know and the Scottish people are some of the friendliest that we have run into. 

When I was on the tour they said there was 8 stoppers that show the race from start to victory. There are letters on the stoppers B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S so you know which ones you have in the series. I kinda dig scotch too, my favorite is Lagavullin, I try to pick up a bottle or two at the duty free when traveling in Europe, about half price vs the local NCarolina ABC store.

Thanks for the vacation story. The missus and I have been talking about the Bourbon Trail Tour for a while now. Makers Mark is the every day bottle and every now and then I treat myself to the Blantons. Someone clued me in that there are 16 or 20 different jockey figures on the stopper, we have about six or seven in a little sack. Something to work toward! Most expensive drink I've ordered out was Johnny Walker Blue Label. Over $ 200 for a bottle, was $ 27 for a neat pour in a nice restaurant.  Speaking of scotch, the same missus and I recently toured Scotland and half a dozen or so distilleries, Highland Park, Glen Morangie, Tobermory and a few others. Learned much that I did not know and the Scottish people are some of the friendliest that we have run into. 

my favorite is Lagavullin,

Just like Ron Swanson!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Now I like it even more!

Are you able to see the videos I posted on tapatalk? Just asking because I see you use tapatalk and I can't see videos in the threads anymore with it.

Now I like it even more!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you able to see the videos I posted on tapatalk? Just asking because I see you use tapatalk and I can't see videos in the threads anymore with it.

Yes, worked for me. Played right from the tapatalk app for iPhone.

6 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

Videos are up. I just found that in BLANTONS stoppers, I have all seven that spell B-L-A-N-T-O-N-.      Need the -S-. Gotta drink more! -O- seems to be the most prolific, anyone have any -S- stoppers?

Here's an example 

image.jpeg