Quick router depth set.

Chestnut

I was setting up to make a drawer for the gift I'm currently working on and i was doing my usual struggle of setting the depth when it dawned on me that there was a better way to do this. I have a 890 series PC router with plunge base so i don't know how many other brands this will work on but I'm sure it's most.

I started by zeroing out the bit on a reference surface that is going to be the top. For my jig it's the scrap board.

13177137_10100989409292979_1803377085199

After that i cut a small piece of a board that is the thickness I'm working with. I took that board and placed it between the bottom of the depth gauge and rested the depth gauge on it.

13177374_10100989409387789_7143384075133

Now all i need to do is remove the scrap piece plunge the base the rest of the way down and i just set my depth accuratly and easily took me 3 years to think of it and 30 seconds to do.

13166109_10100989409457649_7198214619872

Worked like a charm. If this is old news for some people sorry to waste your time but this was not common sense for me on my router. I do a lot of box joints and dovetails with ,y PC jig and the depth setups are not exactly ideal. The best part about this is i can use what ever thickness of scrap i want. I don't have to worry about my scrap being the same thickness. I'll obviously almost always use thicker scrap.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I have one of those without the digital thingamabob.. works the way it's supposed to!  I'm a knuckle dragger, and all this  electronic drives me to drink.....I will however admit, it's not a long drive!

Anyone who follows Pat Warner has read his recommendation for yanking the turret first thing.  He advises setup bars as you show but, I do find being able to step to my final depth to be an advantage.  I keep the turret but, I do use setup blocks or parts from the piece in question for full-depth setup.  If I can measure off a part I will take that over a block.