HAMMER TIME!

Rex Edgar

4 hours ago, Llama said:

My biggest hesitation are the 12" planing thickness, and the changeover.. Seem to be the only drawbacks.

I do like the form factor, and the high build quality of the units.

Has either of you (or anyone else!) had any issues with setting the tables coplaner? After watching the videos about 100 times, there doesn't appear to be an adjustment. 

Thanks for the help!! 

I think I'm the only one who's had an issue with the tables not being co-planer.  I had a broken bolt which I think threw off the entire calibration of the machine.  I was sent a replacement part and all the instruction manuals that they provide for the field service techs to re-calibrate. It was unbelievably complex.  My point-of-view is that this is not a machine that's built for the shade tree mechanic to calibrate.  There are just too many parts with the hinges, how they connect to the body of the machine, how the tables connect to the hinges, etc.  I ended up having a Felder technician swing by when he was doing on-site calls in NYC to work on the machine.  I still haven't seen the bill, but I'm expecting it to be many hundreds of dollars.

There's a tiny bit of discussion in the manual on how to raise & lower the outfeed table, I think that's something I could adjust but honestly I don't want to touch it for fear that I'll knock the calibration off.

Mel, what's the cost difference between the 12" and 16"?  I went 16" because I'm compensating I just didn't want the "I shoulda gotten the 16" regrets down the road... and I've definitely put 12"+ boards through it already, so I'm happy with my decision.  In the end, it's a personal thing on what your budget can handle.

I'll get you that video of the change-over soon.  I've even tidied up that corner of the shop!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Llama said:

For some reason I can only see the list price now. They used to show the current special on their e-shop page. I think they are right around the same price. Somewhere around 4K sounds right? 

4K sounds like too much of a delta.

I bought:

• A3-41
  • Silent Power Spiral Cutter
  • Digital display + new handwheel (installed it but haven't really configured it... haven't used it in anger yet)
  • Rolling carriage with lifting bar
  • 800mm x 150mm table extension + attachment bar (the big one, with the support leg)

all-in, it was ~$7400.  I ordered in Feb '15, EUR USD was a bit worse than today, but not hugely different.

• Like 1

A3-31 with spiral head, hand wheel with metric gauge, short infeed/out feed table: just under $4800.00

I did add on the mobile carriage after the fact added another $250.00 including shipping and it came in less than 48 hrs.

The reps in Delaware deducted $800.00 that I knew nothing about. Get them while they're hot!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

A3-31 with spiral head, hand wheel with metric gauge, short infeed/out feed table: just under $4800.00

I did add on the mobile carriage after the fact added another $250.00 including shipping and it came in less than 48 hrs.

The reps in Delaware deducted $800.00 that I knew nothing about. Get them while they're hot!

$4800 after the $800 deduction, I'd guess?  That's a great deal.

For reference, they took $1300+ off the A3-41.  That was accounted for in the $7400 # above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -MattK- said:

$4800 after the $800 deduction, I'd guess?  That's a great deal.

For reference, they took $1300+ off the A3-41.  That was accounted for in the $7400 # above.

Correct, $ 4800.00 reflects actual price paid after the $ 800.00 discounted

If there is one negative it would be the blade guard. It is parallel to the cutter and is held in place with a thumb screw. I haven't mastered switching hands as the work piece passes over the blade and under the guard. I tend to pull it back out of the way. It is also in the way as you guide the work through the pass. I don't have the stones to remove it, so I'll just work around it. The familiar spring loaded 'pork chop' is much simpler.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

If there is one negative it would be the blade guard. It is parallel to the cutter and is held in place with a thumb screw. I haven't mastered switching hands as the work piece passes over the blade and under the guard. I tend to pull it back out of the way. It is also in the way as you guide the work through the pass. I don't have the stones to remove it, so I'll just work around it. The familiar spring loaded 'pork chop' is much simpler.

Agreed still working on this one as well.

agree on the trickiness of the blade guard - I generally slide it out of the way because I don't want to take my hand off the wood as it passes over the cutting head.

Anyone have problems where the planer won't pull the wood through?  The metal rollers sometimes can't get much grab on the wood. 

16 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

agree on the trickiness of the blade guard - I generally slide it out of the way because I don't want to take my hand off the wood as it passes over the cutting head.

Anyone have problems where the planer won't pull the wood through?  The metal rollers sometimes can't get much grab on the wood. 

Don't forget the handle to engage the roller feed. It takes a little getting used to.

1 hour ago, Rex Edgar said:

Don't forget the handle to engage the roller feed. It takes a little getting used to.

Yeah, I leave it always engaged.  It's generally on the 2nd or 3rd pass through the planer where I find it doesn't grip as well...  it's great on rough sawn wood but slips on the nicely jointed surface