First large-scale project: walnut desk

MisterDrow

4 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

Just catching up on this one. Looking good so far! How are you planning on doing the M&Ts for the legs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drill press and hand chisel for the mortises, table saw for the tenons. The legs will be 3x3 poplar with a taper down the two inside faces. The aprons will be 3" poplar, about 15/16" thick. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gah! Been a while since I updated. My friend finally had some time to come over today and helped me get more of my shop space organized and we worked on the desk some more. Forgot to take pictures until we were done with the glue-ups but we got the legs all glued up.

7e34c4cc11210cb70045894b765b1451.jpg

We realized we didn't have enough poplar to also make the aprons... oops... but we're picking that up on Wednesday when I snag some wormy maple and cherry for a couple other projects.

After we get the rest of the poplar we'll mill the legs to final size, taper them, and make the mortise and tenon joints for the aprons. Getting close to being done with this thing!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2016 at 11:43 PM, MisterDrow said:

Probably buttons or z-clips... Accounting for wood movement and all :)

You might consider figure 8's, they are designed for wood movement.  A good source for them is woodworker.com   their's are cast, not pressed steel like some.

49 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

Worked some more on this today, as well.

Hand planed one edge of these legs square for the thickness planer. That's a lot of work!!

e19cd7e7719b5822511aa9ee291d4d3e.jpg

142be2d6f49bc5bf5bd50749fab940cb.jpg

Planed them to thickness (about 2 3/4") and then cut them to length. My saw BARELY cut through them!

74b4512e8d938b11401eeb6d9416824c.jpg

85fefdaddae0c5ca710b42abfe08b31b.jpg

9c214186302c31ddf659b9113475562b.jpg

Now to mark the tapers and make a jig to cut them. But that will be for another day.

Paul Sellers has an easy way to make tapers if you like hand work.  Look up paulsellers.com......

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Has he been with you for all the work?  I know I wanted to strangle my buddy by the end of the Double Secret Blanket Chest nightmare.  But we're all good now...he moved to Chicago LOL.  Just too much time spent with one homie in a two car garage.  By the end of it we were arguing about everything:D It was almost like a marriage.

• Like 2

He was there for about half of it. He actually ended up finally telling me that he didn't think it was fair that I was working on his desk for this long without any sort of payment. He finally made me a proposal that if I can get this desk and his done by the end of July, he would pay me for it. I told him that wasn't necessary and that it was largely my fault that it's dragged out this long, but he insisted so here I am scrambling to get it all done. Honestly, I probably will not except the check when he hands it to me because I entered into this project to help a friend and again, it's not his fault that I let other things get in the way.

I was really hoping to have this one wrapped up and delivered to his house so that when he and his wife return from LA tonight it was there for her. In order to allow the paint on the legs and aprons the proper amount of time to dry though, pretty sure that's not going to happen. But my hope is that I can drop it off tomorrow before I leave to Athena, Oregon.

Here's the base as I woke up to it this morning. First coat of shellac primer goes on as soon as I get home at 4 o'clock today.

e664b3db31bc2f552a1fc6c864c9c1cb.jpg

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Just mention, "Boy...my drill press sure is a POS."  wink wink

104* in Idaho?  I didn't think you guys broke 70 up there.

LOL I want a jointer or bigger band saw (and maybe a lathe) before a new drill press. That one may be a POS but it's got the job done up to now. If we DO accept the payment, it's going straight onto the credit card. Our recent trip to the Oregon Coast bumped that balance up higher than we're comfortable.

And, yeah... it's not uncommon for us to have several weeks of triple-digit temps in SW Idaho... it IS a high desert here, after all. That was one of the things we loved about the coast... as we drove through Medford, OR it was 103... when we got to the coast it was 72. Seriously considering a move to Western Oregon a couple years from now... it's beautiful there.

13 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

LOL I want a jointer or bigger band saw (and maybe a lathe) before a new drill press. That one may be a POS but it's got the job done up to now. If we DO accept the payment, it's going straight onto the credit card. Our recent trip to the Oregon Coast bumped that balance up higher than we're comfortable.

And, yeah... it's not uncommon for us to have several weeks of triple-digit temps in SW Idaho... it IS a high desert here, after all. That was one of the things we loved about the coast... as we drove through Medford, OR it was 103... when we got to the coast it was 72. Seriously considering a move to Western Oregon a couple years from now... it's beautiful there.

I forget that Idaho isn't all mountains and spruce trees.  Unfortunately I've never been able to travel northwest...it's on the vacation short list once the kids get old enough to appreciate it.  The wife and I have talked about a month-long Pacific Northwest adventure one of these summers in the near future.  Think I'll steer clear of your area if we go in July. :)  We get enough of that crap in St. Louis.  But I guess yours is a "dry heat."  Better than swamp heat like we have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I guess yours is a "dry heat." 

Yeah, I'm not sure that's better... uncomfortable heat is uncomfortable heat. it's supposed to be triple digits here until Sunday and then back into the 90s on Monday. We might see another week or so of triple digits in August but hopefully that will be the end of it. 

On the plus side, we have lots of really good local breweries around here with air-conditioned buildings! ;)

5 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's better... uncomfortable heat is uncomfortable heat

Spend a summer in St. Louis and I bet you change your mind.  Your heat is hot, but ours is oppressive.  It's like trying to breathe boiled marshmallows.

• Like 1