Hand tool cabinet design

SawDustB

20 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Sure, I can do that. Like I said, I'll have to modify the design some but I intend to follow it where I can.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would like to see your build also..I dont use lots of thad tools because of what I build but the cabinet can be used for lots of things.

• Like 1

So after reviewing the fine woodworking design, it's tall and narrow (42 high, 28 wide) but my space is shorter and wider (32 high, up to 48 wide). It looks like I'll be taking inspiration from the various designs without using them exactly. After reviewing the fine woodworking video, I also think I might simplify the joinery a bit. It's all hand cut dovetails and I haven't done any yet.

9 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I also think I might simplify the joinery a bit. It's all hand cut dovetails and I haven't done any yet.

Unless you're trying to out-Studley Eric for tool cabinet awesomeness, shop furniture has got to be the best place to practice new joinery - you'll be cutting clean tight dovetails by the time you're done. 

32 minutes ago, h3nry said:

Unless you're trying to out-Studley Eric for tool cabinet awesomeness, shop furniture has got to be the best place to practice new joinery - you'll be cutting clean tight dovetails by the time you're done. 

Fair enough, that's a good point. The alternative is likely going to be trying box joints for the first time... Don't worry, I won't break out the Kreg jig.

I'm thinking more that even simplified, the build is likely to take me a while. If I put in too many new skills at once (and there'll be a few others) then it could be my next year of shop time at the rate that I'm building lately. It's probably worth me at least trying to build a little box with dovetails first before I jump into something like that.

• Like 1

I recently built one this year...I really wanted a slim profile so didn't Utilize the angled plane design. I got the idea for the door cleats system from the BearKat guy who built an awesome cabinet and posted it to the forum here. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I like the modular approach that the cleat system has. Being able to rearrange or replace a section that no longer works due to tool changes lengthens the useful life of the case . 

I am wondering when someone is going to attempt a modern day version of H.O. Studley's tool cabinet. Downsizing to a smaller shop could trigger trying to pack as much as possible into a smaller case. Perfect project to use up all those hoarded exotic scraps too !

That's a good looking cabinet. I've always wondered with something like that, do the holders on the french cleats stay put? I always picture going to remove items (especially where nothing else is on the holder) and having it come out with the tool. It's probably totally unfounded, or fixed easily enough with a dab of hot glue or something.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I think this project is going to go on the back burner for a bit. I was debating between the cabinet, or finally starting my workbench, and the workbench won out. Besides, what better way to break in the new bench (once I build it)?

Be cool to see your workbench build also.

• Like 1