Router pattern jig for 3 inch circle

miranthis

I made this simple jig to route small circles for Christmas gifts. Not pretty but it worked perfect, and didn't take much time to construct.

f8cfb5870ebc3c690c42cbed9df90ecc.jpg

Hard to see but there's a small nail protruding through the base. The jig could route circles smaller than 1".

695bb8d09d6ff9ebafef6feae03a43bf.jpg

Jeremiah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice jig and welcome to the forum, Jeremiah.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Since getting my CRB7 jig I haven't used much else, but I do have a Jasper 400 jig like the previous poster showed. The CRB7 is so versatile that most of my smaller routing chores that need a guide are now done using it. I ordered all of the options with it, including the two extra rod sizes 2 years ago, and I'm still finding new uses for it, but keeping track of all of the pieces made me build a box to keep everything in. At the time that I made the box I hadn't received the additional two sets of rods, but left room in the box for them.

The CRB7 is similar to the circle and edge guide that shaneymack posted above, but offers many more capabilities. 

Charley

P1010011.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010007.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/23/2016 at 4:04 PM, miranthis said:

I need to make a shallow 3 inch round hole in a board and I thought about using a router with a pattern bit.  But, how do I make the perfect circle pattern?  I can make square and rectangular patterns all day, but I need the circle to be perfect.  most of the web examples show a jig for cutting larger circles, say 6 inch or larger.  TIA,

Jeff-in-KC

The simplest and cheapest way you can do yourself. Just use your router to make the circle template. Build a trammel arm like Marc demonstrated in the 4-in-a-row game video (https://youtu.be/e_gcyr-yIe8). Unless you constantly need to make templates with incremental adjustments, why buy a jig?

If your router has a round base, measure the offset between the bit and base, and add that to the radius of the hole you want. Then use a trammel to cut a circle of the expanded radius. Lay this patteren over the workpiece, drop the router into the hole, and use the router base in place of a guide bushing or bearing.