Sharpening

Mcdavid

On 29/03/2017 at 5:37 PM, Squareandsharp said:

From the reply it looks as if everyone is using stones or diamond plates.  Anybody using sandpaper only on a flat surface?

That is how I started sharpening.  I bought a granite tile from the lumber store and glued sandpaper to it.  My local Napa store carries Norton paper up to 2000 grit.  

• Like 1

I started with sandpaper (up to and including fine grit wet dry) on glass plates - still have it in a box in my shop, 'just in case'.  FWIW, I got some very sharp/polished edges with that system.

Moved to Norton waterstones.  I just keep the stones in a large tupperware of water.  They're always ready to be used.  I still have yet to make a dedicated sharpening station - it's on my short list.

I introduced DMT plates to my regimen a while ago.  They're pretty great.  I also started to use a leather strop for fine honing, which works well.

Edited by Jfitz
spelling

I'm just going to interject here that I think we should have a separate section in the forum for sharpening.  It's a big topic in it's own right and one that people keep coming back to.  I would make it a subsection of Hand Tools Village.  

Or not.

• Like 1