The Festool $50

Southwood

4 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Pretty sure I read on the FOG that the MFT doesn't count. Power tools only. I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Shane said Festool considers anything with a serial a power tool, and the MFT has one. Not sure Tyler has confirmed or denied that.

12 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Shane said Festool considers anything with a serial a power tool, and the MFT has one. Not sure Tyler has confirmed or denied that.

Yeah thats the thread I was thinking of but I thought someone said after thats its power tools only. Like I said, I could be wrong. Im very often wrong. Very often. Ask my wife. 

34 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I can understand them not wanting to give stuff away for free, but they should also reward festool customers who need a bunch of track, or an MFT or whatever. 

I completely agree. I can't think of a power tool I'd really want or need from Festool right now. I would however be able to use an MFT with my existing FesKit

I don't really understand the appeal of the MFT.  To me it just seems like an MDF table with dogholes with folding legs.  I saw one at Woodcraft a few months ago and I could shake it with two fingers, it was not very stable at all.  Obviously I'm missing something since everyone and their brother, even those who aren't Festool addicts, seem to have one. 

39 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I don't really understand the appeal of the MFT.  To me it just seems like an MDF table with dogholes with folding legs.  I saw one at Woodcraft a few months ago and I could shake it with two fingers, it was not very stable at all.  Obviously I'm missing something since everyone and their brother, even those who aren't Festool addicts, seem to have one. 

It's meant to be the festool replacement for a SCMS router table and table saw all in 1. You use a track and attachments to do dados cut stuff with your track saw, router, etc. Honestly it looks really useful if i didn't already have all that other stuff. It still probably is useful even with all that other stuff as well mind you.

It definitely is a nice system, i used a fully equipped setup briefly and was impressed by the capabilities. The mobility is what makes it stand out. But the price of the mft and everything u need to substitute a tablesaw, router table and workbench gets crazy. U could probably build the table yourself and get most of the functionality out if it, and make it stronger (and slightly heavier).

I could be wrong here but I dont think it makes sense for most woodworkers shops, its a mobile carpenters setup in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk