What lathe???

NSA

I am 16 now and have been working with my dad as long as I can remember. I want to get into wood turning and mainly pens and maybe very small bowls. I have looked at the different lathe options and am really stuck on what to get. The Harbor Frieght 10in. lathe is convincing with the price because I just turned 16 and don't have a job yet. So what do you think is the best option.

My 13yr old nephew started turning on a harbor freight mini lathe. He now has sells duck  calls at the rate of a dozen or so a month.  I would recommend looking locally for a used jet or general midi lathe first then go to the HD if all else fails.  I started with a jet midi and upgraded a couple of years later . 

• Like 2

If you are patient, you can likely get a better deal on craigslist. I picked up a 36" lathe and full set of quality knives earlier this year for not much more than the price of just the harbor freight lathe. A full size lathe is pretty big, so some people find themselves with one in their garage that they aren't using and they decide to offload the whole setup. 

• Like 1

Might go on this site and look for a local club in your area and email them, maybe one of the guys is selling one and can hook you up.  Or you can at least go to their meetings and learn something, the guys in my local club are helpful.  Getting into turning pens def isn't cheap, would def stick to one certain pen kit if you don't have money to blow.

http://www.woodturner.org/

What type of objects do you like to turn? A long lathe bed is only useful if you make longer spindles - table legs, balluster spindles, and such. If you want to make pens, duck calls, bottle stoppers and bowls / vases, a shorter bed length may save some cash. In the case of bowls, you want a larger "swing", which allows turning objects with a larger radius, or the ability to do "outboard" turning, that is, on the opposite side of the head stock.

Yes, this can be a deep and expensive rabbit hole, but you don't have to go down it all at once.

The lathe is usually not the highest cost item, its all the other things you need as well. For instance, if you want to turn pens you will probably want a drill press as well and maybe a bandsaw or table saw to cut blanks. You will also absolutely and without question need a grinder to sharpen tools (every turning will require multiple sharpenings) and you will need some turning tools as well. For pens you can get by with a 3/8" spindle gauge and that is it. But for bowels you will also need a bowel gauge and likely a chuck as well. Call it a minimum investment of at least 300$ more then the lathe just to get into turning pens and that assumes you make do without a tablesaw/bandsaw, and drill press. More if you want to turn bowls. 

All that being said, folks here gave you excellent advice in looking for used lathes, there are deals out there all the time, for instance there is this guy near where I live in Maryland: http://easternshore.craigslist.org/art/5841123839.html

Not connected to the seller, just did a quick search on craigslist and found it.

If however for some reason you absolutely must buy new, then consider this guy: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-18-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/T25926?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Its variable speed which is very nice. Most cheapy lathes (the harbor freight one included) require you to manually shift the position of a belt on a multi-step pulley in order to change speeds. Not the end of the world but annoying. This grizzly on the other hand has a variable speed drive in it which is handy since you will change speeds multiple times every time you turn something.

• Like 2