Shop organisation

AndrewPritchard

Also remember if you mount them were they will be recessed any amount inside you bottom aprons allow enough space for them to swivel, in other words don't get to close to the corners.  If fully exposed no problem.   I think you will be fine with something around 4 inches.  If you go with six and the floor is not flat in all areas you will end up with your cart in a rocking situation.  I would go with just the four and make sure you design is structurally strong at the base so you don't getting any sag in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrewPritchard said:

Would 6 casters be a good idea - one in each corner and additionally along the long sides?

Theory and practicality argue on this point. Any imperfection in the floor can leave you with weird tippiness that is not desirable. Evaluate your floor and you will have your answer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chet K said:

Also remember if you mount them were they will be recessed any amount inside you bottom aprons allow enough space for them to swivel, in other words don't get to close to the corners.  If fully exposed no problem.   I think you will be fine with something around 4 inches.  If you go with six and the floor is not flat in all areas you will end up with your cart in a rocking situation.  I would go with just the four and make sure you design is structurally strong at the base so you don't getting any sag in the future.

My current plan is to have them directly under the corners of the frame so there shouldn't be an issue with lack of access. I might trip over them however.

I've doubled up the width of the base, and sag shouldn't be so much of an issue because of the way the upright frame will be constructed. 2x4s for uprights and cross brace, with 3/4" plywood covering one side so I can hang the tools up. The floor of the current place is smooth, and appears to have a slight incline towards the middle and has a drainage hole in the centre of the room.