Finishing Mahogany - First time woodworker

Mike Vee

On 3/17/2017 at 7:20 PM, drzaius said:

That looks great Mike. If you'd care to do a bit of a review on the desk chassis that'd be great.

I've been pondering a standing desk for a while now & really think I'd like to have one.

Heya drzaius!

I personally love this desk. I purchased the DIY leg kit from autonomous.ai 

They have 2 different versions:

a single motor and a dual motor. they're priced around 250-350 i think.

In terms of stability, it's rock solid. the motor isn't really loud or anything but you can hear the whirring of the motor. it's working out great for me at the moment for sure.

Putting it together was really simple as well. I personally did not use most of the screws they provided because of the thickness and weight of the desk. I ended up with 1 1/4" long wood screws due to the fact that my desks were 1 3/4" thick. The standard ones are only a mere 3/4 long i believe, so it wouldn't really hold.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:30 PM, wdwerker said:

Looks nice ! 

I would have tried raising my chair first.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:20 PM, drzaius said:

That looks great Mike. If you'd care to do a bit of a review on the desk chassis that'd be great.

I've been pondering a standing desk for a while now & really think I'd like to have one.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:36 PM, wtnhighlander said:

That turned out to be a very lovely desktop. I like the clean lines of the desk. I switch to a standing desk over a year ago, and love it. Unless I get totally hooked on a task that requires intense concentration at the computer, I am much less tired at the end of the day, than when sitting. I keep a stool handy, so I can sit briefly to rest my feet.

21 hours ago, Drumstick said:

The desk looks great!

Thanks everyone!

This was an interesting project in general considering this is my 2nd ever woodworking project. 

I have to say that the biggest stumbling block for me was prepping the surface before I apply the finish because I wanted it to be as smooth and ready for the stain and coat as possible. This is also considering the fact that I was out of commission for about a week because I accidentally left a can of paint thinner open in the garage and I was getting chronic nosebleeds before I found the stupid can being left open. 
Other than that, it was a lot of work, both with research and guesswork, that I really enjoyed doing!

• Like 1