Finishing Mahogany - First time woodworker

Mike Vee

On 2/22/2017 at 2:15 PM, Eric. said:

I use Platin pads to buff the surface after it's cured.  I tried the paper bag thing once...didn't work well for me.  This is an optional step but it makes your finish baby butt smooth.  Wet sand with a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits/mineral oil.

https://www.amazon.com/492371-Festool-Platin-Abrasive-15pcs/dp/B00CN0MX78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487801592&sr=8-1&keywords=festool+platin+2000

Hi Eric,

Quick question.

When you talk about the optional step, the 50/50 solution is after the surface is cured right?
so I do this after say, 2 weeks of leaving it alone?

Also, I checked the surface this morning and there are small bumps and stuff. Should I still sand it down now or wait till it's fully cured then do the 50/50 mix?

Thanks!

I've done it the day after the final coat, but that's not ideal.  The longer you can wait the better.  Two weeks would be great but ordinarily you should be safe after a few days.

Those small bumps are dust nibs.  Lightly wet sand with 2000 grit with the grain to get rid of them.  The Platin pads are better than plain wet/dry paper because you run less risk of sanding through finish.  You're not trying to sand...you're "polishing" the surface.

• Like 1

Possible dumb question:
When you say Mineral Oil, you mean that stuff that you can buy at pharmacies and stores like target and walmart that's used as a laxative right?

and I have paint thinner, but no mineral spirits (thank you LA County... for banning that as well) so I have a diluted version of the regular mineral spirit.

Should I be changing the ratio to accomodate the replacement of mineral spirits w/ paint thinner?

Thanks

hahah ok, I just wanted to make sure before I go out and buy it without thinking.

I'm not sure if i'll be able to find those odorless mineral spirits in Los Angeles County though. It seems like anything that's oil based is essentially banned :( I'm wondering if I should re-adjust the ratio for the paint thinner's lesser strength. .

I just realized this: after i wet sand the surface w/ a 2000 grit sandpaper (ever so gently), Do I leave it on the surface or wipe the excess off immediately?

• 2 weeks later...

quick update:

It's been 2 weeks.

Yesterday I wet sanded the entire desk with the 50/50 paint thinner/ mineral oil mixture and wow, the difference is mind blowing. it's stupid smooth (i wiped everything up as soon as I finish polishing a section with a 2000 grit sandpaper).

Now I'm on the phase where I'm spray painting and sealing the pipes black and the flanges with plastidip and sealing it w/ a matte sealer. Hopefully everything will be good to go by Sunday after the paint fully sets.

EDIT: Just added a pic of some of the parts that are sitting out to cure after it's dried to the touch. 

20170310_231950.jpg

• Like 1

Hi!

Update!

IT'S DONE!

but not without a few extra bumps along the way.

My initial assessment that an 8" pipe would be the right height turned out to be incorrect. it was actually 2 inches too high. the eyeline was a little above center of the monitor which makes me tilt my head up constantly.

I went back to Home Depot and grabbed 6" pipes and redid the entire sand (including sanding out the stamps on the pipe with my trusty Proxxon rotary tool) and spray work.

All in all, this was an extremely fun but exhausting project. I enjoyed the process of doing and researching and finally putting it together.

so here are the pics of my desk :

Sitting position

20170317_161618.jpg

Standing position

20170317_161634.jpg

A close up of the desk

20170313_171125.jpg

bonus: this was with the 8" pipes (you might be able to see why it's awkwardly tall)

20170313_171105.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk.

• Like 1

That turned out to be a very lovely desktop. I like the clean lines of the desk. I switch to a standing desk over a year ago, and love it. Unless I get totally hooked on a task that requires intense concentration at the computer, I am much less tired at the end of the day, than when sitting. I keep a stool handy, so I can sit briefly to rest my feet.

5 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

That turned out to be a very lovely desktop. I like the clean lines of the desk. I switch to a standing desk over a year ago, and love it. Unless I get totally hooked on a task that requires intense concentration at the computer, I am much less tired at the end of the day, than when sitting. I keep a stool handy, so I can sit briefly to rest my feet.

This is good to hear. I take it your desk has not raising/lowering mechanism. I've also been considering a treadmill desk, but that's a big commitment.

Sorry for the hijack Mike.

This is good to hear. I take it your desk has not raising/lowering mechanism. I've also been considering a treadmill desk, but that's a big commitment.

Sorry for the hijack Mike.

Several engineers at work have the motorized desks, but they are horredously wobbly. Mine is a standard desk, jacked up on blocks, in true Southern Redneck fashion!