Jointers...

yes, a four to two inch adapter is readily available. It's not the best solution, but way better than spewing chips.

Thank you, I know what you mean though, seriously I have it set at the mouth of a little dead end hallway alcove thing, and every surface is nicely spread with wood chips from planing two boards, I can only imagine it in a few weeks.

go for the DW733, i have one and it works well. i have only had to replace knives, wax the bed and level the head. i like mine.

That's the same planer I've had for over 4 years. I bought mine factory reconditioned. No complaints. I've replaced the knives a few times. Not too terrible. If you care, I use my planer as much as I use my jointer. But I'm a cheap-skate so I buy a lot of rough cut wood. I wish I could tell you the number of times I've filled my dust collector from planing stuff with my DW733, but I can't. It is a lot! The dang thing will last you a long time, if you take care of it.

I don't know if this matters either. The DW733 is a smaller footprint than the DW735, it is also about 20 pounds lighter. That's not why I bought mine however. At the time of my purchase the DW735 didn't exist yet.

Final point on this, I have two friends with the DW735. They both seem to replace their knives less often then I need to. Not sure if they take less material at a time or if they use softer wood, but their knives definitely seem to last longer. We also once had a "plane-off" comparison between our planers. Each of us planed a 6" long chunk of black walnut. I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you that both of theirs seemed to come out slightly smoother than mine. Although, if you're not going to inspect them really (I mean REALLY) close, the finish on all three was more than acceptable.

I hope this helps.

As I do not have a dust extractor with a 4" hose, or a dedicated extractor at all, nor the money to purchase and space to get one, is there an adapter for a shopvac hose that would allow it to fit the 4" nozzle thing?

My Dewalt 735 4" dust port has an inner 2.5" port. It's a little too small on the inside to take a standard shop-vac fitting, and it's a little too big on the outside to take a 2.5" hose. I found that some of my 2.5" fittings would fit if I forced them. If I needed to use it with a 2.5" hose, I'd get a 2.5" fitting and sand it down until it fit.

post-24-0-79084100-1296013777_thumb.jpgpost-24-0-24553600-1296013779_thumb.jpg

My Dewalt 735 4" dust port has an inner 2.5" port. It's a little too small on the inside to take a standard shop-vac fitting, and it's a little too big on the outside to take a 2.5" hose. I found that some of my 2.5" fittings would fit if I forced them. If I needed to use it with a 2.5" hose, I'd get a 2.5" fitting and sand it down until it fit.

post-24-0-79084100-1296013777_thumb.jpgpost-24-0-24553600-1296013779_thumb.jpg

Ooh, that's a good idea, however I have a two inch hose :( so off the the home improvement store!

Also, I know you're not *supposed* to run end grain through planers, but I've heard people having some success with this model, and others, but do you think this is a good idea? Actually, let me rephrase that, does it have a good chance of working without something catastrophic happening?

I have a DeWalt 734 planer (similar to the 733 but with a three cutter head instead of a two cutter head) that has worked quite well for me over the last few years. I use a shop vac and the chip catcher/cover that came with it and it seems to get about 90% of the chips which is nice. I definitely recommend the DeWalt planers if you can get one.

I got a 6" Reliant jointer on craigslist for $100 a few years back. It's OK but a couple of lessons learned that you may want to be aware of when looking:

1) check the fence on whatever you are looking at buying in a jointer. This one has a unwieldy multi-bolt affair to set the fence and is a pain to get square.

2) make sure you can get knives for it. I didn't think about that until after I bought and fortunately the knives are similar to some other makes so they are interchangeable but on older tools, who knows how often the knives were sharpened/re-ground or how much meat is left on them. Nice to know knives are still available should I need them.

3) check out how the knives are aligned. Many older ones, including mine, don't use indexed knives so getting the blades in to the correct height is a chore. Apparently they made a tool to make it easier to line everything up but I don't have the tool.

4) make sure the infeed adjustment works correctly and smoothly. Again, I lucked out and this one works correctly (though the gauge is off by about 1/16")

I didn't know much about jointers before I got this one so I figured I'd give you a heads up on a few things to watch for when buying used.

Hope it helps...

-Jim

Alright, well I managed to get the DW735, very nice the first two times I've used it, about 3" snipe on the end with just letting it run its course with out the in/out feed tables. I have run into a problem though, I put the dust chute on and WOW! that is a lot of saw dust going for like 8 feet back! As I do not have a dust extractor with a 4" hose, or a dedicated extractor at all, nor the money to purchase and space to get one, is there an adapter for a shopvac hose that would allow it to fit the 4" nozzle thing?

I used mine without the DC for a while too. I just hooked up a chuck of 4" hose and pointed it outside. I blew it into my yard until I got the DC. It makes a mess, but it is better than all over the shop. I am not sure the a shop vac could handle it. I could be wrong. But you can connect something to the smaller ring in the middle of it. it doesnt have to go around the entire 4" adapter. Good luck.

I used mine without the DC for a while too. I just hooked up a chuck of 4" hose and pointed it outside. I blew it into my yard until I got the DC. It makes a mess, but it is better than all over the shop. I am not sure the a shop vac could handle it. I could be wrong. But you can connect something to the smaller ring in the middle of it. it doesnt have to go around the entire 4" adapter. Good luck.

I wonder if the chip thrower is strong enough to just cut a hole in a garbage can lid and fit a section of 4" hose and have it dump directly into a can without even using a vac or DC? I mean if it's strong enough to toss the chips into your yard, should be strong enough to get to a can placed a few feet away as long as the hose doesn't bend or anything right?

Just a thought...

-Jim

I bought this unit because the reviews weren't THAT bad on Amazon...

I hope I didn't end up just purchasing a headache....

Jet Jointer/Planer

I thought about these when they first came out. Only bad things I heard were that the tables were steel not cast so that could effect the jointing, they were light so vibration might be an issue and the tables were too short for long pieces to be jointed comfortably. That was two years ago though and may have just been people poo pooing a new thing (you know how that goes) I haven't gotten to use one personally yet so just heresay I guess :) I don't want to turn you off it. It may be perfect for your use depending on what you are doing with it...

When you get it, post a review so we can get a first hand account...

-Jim

I wonder if the chip thrower is strong enough to just cut a hole in a garbage can lid and fit a section of 4" hose and have it dump directly into a can without even using a vac or DC? I mean if it's strong enough to toss the chips into your yard, should be strong enough to get to a can placed a few feet away as long as the hose doesn't bend or anything right?

Just a thought...

-Jim

Actually that works pretty well. I've done it with my 733 before I got my DC set up. As a matter of fact Craftsman used to sell an attachment for theirs which was a piece of hose with a cloth hood that fit atop a garbage can. You get most of the big chips. You do miss about 1/3 of them though and fine dust can still fill the air around it, so if you can connect it to a dust collector you are better off.

A friend of mine has the 735 hooked to a shop vac. It works, but he fills the vac really quickly. It also sometimes gets overwhelmed depending on the depth of the cut.

I wonder if the chip thrower is strong enough to just cut a hole in a garbage can lid and fit a section of 4" hose and have it dump directly into a can without even using a vac or DC?

Just a thought...

-Jim

That would keep your shop nice and neat, but the fine dust would get into the air. With a shop-vac you've got a filter, so it will collect the fine dust. I'm not sure if a 2" or 2.5" hose will handle chips.

Here we go, perfect... B)

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0000CCXUC

-Jim

The only thing about that, is you have something that is good for one tool, that is it. And if you can save for a month longer, you can pick up a HF 2HP DC with a coupon for about $140 that you can use on ALL of your tools. Combine that with the Thien style separator like Vic mentions and you have a far superior DC solution that will last you a long time. I think that you are better off saving your money and getting the HF DC. Just my $.02..

I would not recommend it...

Alright, its just that I need this board done for tomorrow and I've been at one side for ~hour with a belt sand fitted with a 50 girt belt and its close, but I spent too long in one spot and now there's a gouge thing that will take another 15 or so minutes to fix, plus then finish sanding and I'm thinking it'll end up being late since I have about another 15 minutes tonight before the baby goes to sleep.

So, can you send end grain through a planer? I know I would have set the depth at like 1/64" to 1/128" on each pass, would this be okay?

I've never tried it. Some people have reported doing it successfully. Others have reported that the piece explodes. Seriously. If I was going to try it, I'd chamfer the edges, take the lightest possible passes, wear all the protective gear I could find, and not stand in line with the infeed or outfeed. And then I'd think again whether this was really a good idea.

I've never tried it. Some people have reported doing it successfully. Others have reported that the piece explodes. Seriously. If I was going to try it, I'd chamfer the edges, take the lightest possible passes, wear all the protective gear I could find, and not stand in line with the infeed or outfeed. And then I'd think again whether this was really a good idea.

I agree with Beech. Plus, if you are going through that much trouble, I think I'd remove the planer knives and wrap the drum with a strip of PSA sandpaper then run the block through :) (not condoning that, though) It would still be an experiment, but there isn't much functionally different from that and a drum sander, which is the tool of choice for flattening an end-grain cutting board.