Jointers...

Okay, I am in the market for a jointer (in case the title didn't give that away :P ). I have been trawling craigslist and have found several 6" jointers in various states of (dis)repair. I don't want to spend to much money as I have $350 to spread on a jointer and planer (quite possibly an impossible feat). There is an enco 150-5100 that looks kinda rusty on the table and fence, and would drive for 40 minutes to get, for $150. A 12 year old, rarely used delta floor model (unknown model #) for $225 and would drive for 1 hour 15 minutes. A tomlee that appears to be in good condition for $150, 1 hour and 15 minute drive. And finally another delta, 2 years of age, looks to be in good condition, bench top model (unknown model #), and again a 1 hour and 15 minute drive, for $120. My question is which one of these, or a new one, should I purchase.

The first thing to do is find out as much info as possible like age, how long it's been sitting idle, make sure you can get parts, and so on. Many parts like bearings you are pretty standard but I would do some research first.

I don't know anything about Tomlee, I did a quick search and turned up empty. The one thing I am going to say is you may really want to consider going with a 8". I have a ridgid 6" and I really like it but there are many times where it's size limits me. Depending on what you are going to be doing you may be really disappointed with a benchtop jointer. The length of the beds is what determines how long of a board you can joint, rule of thumb is the length of wood you can joint is double the length of the jointers tables. This is not an exact science but you get the picture. The other thing is the couple of benchtop jointers I have seen have aluminum tables to cut down on the weight, but the rigidity also goes down. If you are going to be doing mostly smaller stuff one of these may be absolutely perfect for you and I lot of people love them, it just depends on your plans. If I were you I would start with the floor model Delta and go from there, good luck and keep us posted.

Nate

I second nates opinion. Make sure you can get parts first and foremost. I have a delta 12-1/2" planer thats around 12 years old and am finding out that some of the parts are no longer made- so far it hasent been a problem. I would try to stay away from a benchtop model i dont think you will be happy with that in the long run. Lastly if you can get your hands on an 8" definately do it even if it tops your budget a bit the extra capacity will be well worth it.

Another angle, get a planer only, and use a 'sled' when you need to joint twisted/cupped stock.. Not ideal by any stretch, but you'd be amazed how good a job you can do with this method, and allows you to 'joint' much wider stock (usually a 12-13 inch planer is the same or less cost than a 6 inch jointer).. Plus, less room taken up by machines..

Good luck, and happy woodworking..

David

I agree, in the pic it does look like there may be pitting. Make sure if you do go and see it that you can run it when you get there. The knives may be dull so you may not know about the quality of cut but you will be able to get an idea of how smooth it is and hear it run. Bringing a scrap of hardwood with for a test run is a good idea, lt us know how you turn out.

Nate

It's not an obviously great deal or an obviously bad one. The 733 is their old model, and if I recall correctly there were some problems. The 735 is their current model, with the problems fixed. If you need a planer now, and you can't afford to pay much more than $225, and this one is in good condition, then I'd say go for it. See if you can talk the seller down on price - can't hurt to try.

At least, that's my opinion.

Okay, I've found another one, its a ryobi ap1301, apparently it was used 'once, literally still has the seals on it' for $120 and a 45 minute drive. I've looked at some reviews and it does have awful snipe, but from what I've read can be reduced to more or less eliminated with feed tables. The other planer I was looking at was a factory refurbished dewalt 735 for $450 from sears. So, would trying to haggle the dewalt down be a better deal (at what point too) or the ryobi, or would it be better to wait 5 or so months to get the 735?

Yeah I looked at a couple reviews, but I don't think I'd be able to haggle with sears, but the 733 I might be able to get down a bit, so, would I be better off getting the enco jointer and the ryobi or the dewalt 733 with the possibility of getting the enco as well, or just the dewalt 735 refurbished from Sears?

Okay, I know I might be waffling and annoying the ever-living crap out of some you guys, who have been extremely insightful and helpful thus far, but would it be better to have a jet 8" jointer/planer combo, or the 10" even. I know when the first came out they got some bad reviews, but are the any better now? I have a split-shop, mainly basement and a little garage, and have room for one more tool in the basement so this would be a great space saving option, but is it any good? I do realize that a separate planer and jointer will run me more money, but will most likely give better results. So is the quality sacrifice even remotely worth the space and money (which I'm going to guess you will say that depends :rolleyes: )? So again sorry for waffling and probably annoying you guys.

If space is an issue for you then maybe a combo unit is good for you. But like you said, they didnt get teh best reviews right when they came out. Obviously, the bigger combo units are generally better, such as this one from Grizzly. I know that Jet make a unit like this too. The issue that you have with these, are the short tables. It make it quite difficult to joint longer boards, especially if they have any decent amount of bow, or twist. I think that the Dewalt 733 might be a good choice for now. You can always make a planer sled for getting the first flat face. In that link the guy is actually using a 733 I believe. And then you can use a router and straight edge for edge jointing. I know making these decisions can be difficult, but that planer I think will work for you very well. It should last a long time as well. I would try to talk him down a little on the price though. As for the 735, it is a sweet planer. I have one and love it. Not sure where you are from, but I got mine brand new from a Grizzly tent sale where Dewalt had a tent setup there, and I got it for $450 for a brand new one. And if you do get the 735, spend the extra $50 for the tables. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I don't own a jointer or a planer so this strictly subjective but from what I have heard the Jet Combo machines are POS's and you might be wasting your money. The best deal sounds like the DW735, you know that machine is good because its gotten a ton of positive reviews. The last thing you want to do is buy a cheap tool and then want to replace it within a year or two. Believe me I have a had few cheap tools and it sucks. Happy Hunting!

"So again sorry for waffling and probably annoying you guys" never!

That is what this place is all about. I really haven't heard a lot of good about the combo units, at least the ones we can afford! I would say stay with the 2 seperate machines and look hard at your layout to see if there is something you can change around to get everything in and working for you.

As far as a Ryobi or Dewalt, I would say Dewalt all the way. I had the older style Dewalt planer for many yrs and it did great, one thing I really liked was being able to have positive stops for 1/4", 1/2". and 3/4", I put digital readout on my Grizzly because I got so used to having the stops on my Dewalt.

As far as which first jointer or planer, look at the work you do. Do you resaw or buy rough cut lumber, either way having both is best but planer is prime for these. Lot of glue ups and flattening stock the jointer is king. If you aren't sure and neither one is jumping out at you maybe waiting and watching Craigslist of a bit longer until one jumps out would be best. During this time you could study the layout of your shop to see if there is a way to shoehorn more stuff in. Just a few thoughts, keep us posted.

Nate

Alright, well I managed to get the DW735, very nice the first two times I've used it, about 3" snipe on the end with just letting it run its course with out the in/out feed tables. I have run into a problem though, I put the dust chute on and WOW! that is a lot of saw dust going for like 8 feet back! As I do not have a dust extractor with a 4" hose, or a dedicated extractor at all, nor the money to purchase and space to get one, is there an adapter for a shopvac hose that would allow it to fit the 4" nozzle thing?