Would this be a good buy?

Rwham

So I am just starting out and I found a guy selling solid oak barn wood. Some are 4/4 and some are 8/4, 6" to 20" wide and he has some 5' and some 10'. He is asking $3 per BF. I would probably just use it to practice with but i don't know if it is worth the price. There are pictures. 

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

I don't know why that's called "barn wood".   No, I wouldn't pay that for it.  It does look nicely stacked on stickers, but the woods are full of stacks of lumber like that. You'd be better off going to a good supplier of kiln dried wood, and buying what you need for the project you have in mind.

It does look like solid wood though.

Are you calling it barnwood because it's been stored in a barn?  Because it looks like freshly milled lumber to me.

Oak is cheap, especially red oak.  We sell 4/4 S3S FAS (highest grade) for $3.65/bf...so no, I don't think it's a great price.  If that's air dried red oak, I'd be looking to pay around $1/bf.  Maybe $2/bf if it's white oak.  The bark does look more like white to me but I'm far from certain about that.

The bark looks like Red Oak to me, but it does have kind of a whitish tint to it, so that could easily be wrong.  

Our house has White Oak siding.  When I built it in 1980, I paid a hundred dollars a thousand.  When I added on to it in 2006, I bought the best grade of White Oak 1x6's for .65 a linear foot directly from the mill green.