New tool celebration

wtnhighlander

38 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I did spend a while admiring the lumber they had on hand. Nice variety, but it seemed a bit pricey for me. Maybe if I was actually selling the stuff I make, it wouldn't seem so bad.

But it's nice to know should you ever need it, you know where to find it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I did spend a while admiring the lumber they had on hand. Nice variety, but it seemed a bit pricey for me. Maybe if I was actually selling the stuff I make, it wouldn't seem so bad.

I know a couple of Rockler managers and used to live quite near a company-owned Woodcraft; I did not, however, stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but, I digress.  These guys say that lumber is carried as a convenience item.  It is not there primary product line and is priced at a bit of a premium to qualify for the valuable retail space is consumes.  This may explain the prices at the store you visited as well . . . or they could just be priced high :D

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 9:24 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I compared this to a Woodriver #4 at the store. Build quality seems very much the same, but the design of the Sweetheat's frog, adjustment mechanism, and tote fit my hand so much better. Every other plane I own is a knuckle-buster. This one has plenty of room, and I can still turn the advancement knob without moving my hand off the tote. The 1/8" thick blade and re-designed chip breaker are awesome. The integral frog is awesome. I planed this:

I bought the WR #4 several weeks ago.  Similar ease on honing and I was getting very thin shavings.  The thing is, I just find it uncomfortable.  I am probably going to get a LN or Veritas and see if it is more comfortable, and if so sell the WR.  It sucks because I'm impressed with the build quality.  It just doesn't feel right in use, and I'm not sure why.