New tool celebration

wtnhighlander

23 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@pondhockey, let me first say that I don't have a large collection of hand planes. I own a Stanley #7 and an unknown knockoff #5(?)C, both inherited from my gandfather, and probably 1950s to 1960s vintage. I also have a small Stanley block plane, and a couple of the Windsor Design #33 "planes" that HF sells for $10. The #7 is in the best condition, so let's compare that.

Highlander, what a great review; many thanks.

I've caught the (controversy?  Difference of opinion?) over the older thinner steel and lighter planes vs the newer thicker steel and heavier planes.  At this point I'm convinced that I should save up a few nickels and try one of the newer planes.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped into that shop just about two weeks ago on one of my many trips hauling my Dad's tools from Mississippi back to Kentucky.  They are 2.5 hours for me from the house, but it was a nice shop and I like the aspect of looking a salesman in the eye and getting my hands on the tool....call me old fashion.  Did you browse through their wood assortment in the back room.  NICE!!!

I stopped into that shop just about two weeks ago on one of my many trips hauling my Dad's tools from Mississippi back to Kentucky.  They are 2.5 hours for me from the house, but it was a nice shop and I like the aspect of looking a salesman in the eye and getting my hands on the tool....call me old fashion.  Did you browse through their wood assortment in the back room.  NICE!!!

I did spend a while admiring the lumber they had on hand. Nice variety, but it seemed a bit pricey for me. Maybe if I was actually selling the stuff I make, it wouldn't seem so bad.

• Like 1