Hand planes

If you didn't want to spend for the L-N or Veritas brands, but wanted better quality than Stanley & Groz, for mortise and tennon work, who would you consider?

Thanks

Brian

Quangshen get consistently rave reviews over here in Europe. Obviously Chinese but,then some! and absolutely definitely better than those you list. Not the L-N or Veritas obviously

Quangshen get consistently rave reviews over here in Europe. Obviously Chinese but,then some! and absolutely definitely better than those you list. Not the L-N or Veritas obviously

Very true. Some sell them as Qiangsheng or Quangsheng, others use their own brand names. Sold in America by Woodcraft under the Woodriver brand name. AFAIK though, they don't yet make a rebate/rabbet or shoulder plane.

Caveat Emptor - Woodcraft are discounting the V3 bench planes right now, probably because the improved V4 planes are a-comin'.

id suggest you try out the woodriver planes. from what i have seen of them in the store they are much better looking than the groz. i refurbish planes and have a large collection that i have done that with and use. thats another route you can follow. im a budget hobbyist and its the only way I can afford to buy planes.

If you didn't want to spend for the L-N or Veritas brands, but wanted better quality than Stanley & Groz, for mortise and tennon work, who would you consider?

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

Unless I'm mistaken, the Woodriver line doesn't have plane suited to tuning tenons. To trim tenons to fit the mortises, you can use a float or a skew chisel instead.

totally missed that he wanted to clean up tenons lol. I have a stanley 75 i use its a bullnose rabbet plane about 4 inches long. also might consider one of these. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46324&cat=1,41182,46334

rabbet planes and shoulder planes are similar, the difference is that the shoulder plane has a lower angle bed for the iron. rabbet planes will work for the same job.

edit: surprised woodriver doesnt have a shoulder or rabbet plane. maybe thats next. they even have spokeshaves, block planes, and chisel planes.

the Anant bullnose is a serviceable, inexpensive plane that will trim cheeks and shoulders for around $50-$60. The iron won't hold an edge like the Veritas but that can be replaced with a hock if you like. As for a low angle block, I would also suggest a decent antique or the anants if you're looking to go inexpensive.

Caveat Emptor - Woodcraft are discounting the V3 bench planes right now, probably because the improved V4 planes are a-comin'.

Actually Woodcraft was just clearing out the V2 and are just getting the V3. I think that they are a version behind the European relative. I would have to agree about the value and quality of the Woodrivers. I recently got a #6 V2 and am very pleased with it. Very nice and clean casting as well as a nice thick iron and chipbreaker. Fit and finish is very nice as well. I havent take sole to stone yet, but I put a straightedge to the sole and it appeared to be VERY flat. Overall I am impressed with the quality. I am thinking about getting a #5 as well. As for the wanting to do M&T work, I would go with a rabbet plane from LN or LV. I have a LN 102I and a 60 1/2R and love them both. You cant go wrong with the quality that you will get from both.