Morris Chair miscalculation

TomD

Hi all

im well on my way into my first guild build and made a measuring mistake, essentially there are two opposing mortises on the front legs.  The front rail mortise is 5 1/2" and the side rail mortise is 5 1/4", and I got them backwards.  The bottoms of both mortises are set at the correct height of 5 5/8" so I am racking my brain trying to figure out if the rail locations will be fine as long as I adjust the tenon sizes to match, or if I will end up with either the front or side rails being 1/8 " off on both sides?  Hoping there is someone out there who can envision this mistake more clearly then me and offer some guidance?  I'm usually pretty good at fixing my mistakes, I have a lot of practice !! But this one has me a little stumped.

Thanks in advance

TomD

11 hours ago, TomD said:

Hi all

im well on my way into my first guild build and made a measuring mistake, essentially there are two opposing mortises on the front legs.  The front rail mortise is 5 1/2" and the side rail mortise is 5 1/4"

Where are you getting these numbers?  The plans show 4.25" for both mortises...

Since the bottoms of the mortises are correct, you can just elongate the front to make it the 5.5" and either leave the side one long or glue in a small patch and reroute it to 5.25".

Honestly though it shouldn't matter. Just cut the tenons to fit.

10 hours ago, Eric. said:

Where are you getting these numbers?  The plans show 4.25" for both mortises...

Page 6 of the PDF plan.

I don't think it matters, I don't see why the mortises are different sizes.  Just cut the tenons to fit.  I'm sure someone who has built it can chime in and explain why they're different, but looking at the plans, I don't see it.

3 minutes ago, TomD said:

Hi Eric

Thanks for digging to make sure I'm not on the wrong path, seems you are looking at an adirondack chair plan and I am building the Morris chair..

sorry if my post was not clear.

TomD

Gah!  Well that makes more sense, doesn't it?  Sorry.  LOL  What a bonehead.

source.gif

• Like 2