Oak Coffee Table India Ink

Glenn Siegel

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful table and I love the base. It has definitely inspired me. I'm not proficient with wood working terms yet, so please guide me through this. It looks like you laminated 4, 1 1/2" X 6" boards together to make a roughly 6X6 base. It looks like all of the base pieces are the same length and then joined at a 45* angle. 

I just salvaged a truck load of old 1X6 Oak fence boards. If I plane them to 3/4" thick, and laminate them X 8 boards, that would give me a roughly 6X6 beam. Instead of cutting each 6X6 at a 45 and then joining them like a picture frame, could I over lap every other interior board? The staggered joinery would be evident on the end pieces. Then do a 45 on the two outside pieces? It seems that would make an incredibly strong base, not that the one pictured isn't strong. It's just that I have this pile of beautiful sun weathered Oak. When planed down past the grey weathered wood, it's a dark honey color. I would probably use a hand rubbed BLO finish. 

I hope my question and description make sense.

Sorry for the hijack. It's just that when I saw your base an image of all those Oak boards flashed through my mind. Thanks, Joe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 7:26 PM, rarefish383 said:

Beautiful table and I love the base. It has definitely inspired me. I'm not proficient with wood working terms yet, so please guide me through this. It looks like you laminated 4, 1 1/2" X 6" boards together to make a roughly 6X6 base. It looks like all of the base pieces are the same length and then joined at a 45* angle. 

I just salvaged a truck load of old 1X6 Oak fence boards. If I plane them to 3/4" thick, and laminate them X 8 boards, that would give me a roughly 6X6 beam. Instead of cutting each 6X6 at a 45 and then joining them like a picture frame, could I over lap every other interior board? The staggered joinery would be evident on the end pieces. Then do a 45 on the two outside pieces? It seems that would make an incredibly strong base, not that the one pictured isn't strong. It's just that I have this pile of beautiful sun weathered Oak. When planed down past the grey weathered wood, it's a dark honey color. I would probably use a hand rubbed BLO finish. 

I hope my question and description make sense.

Sorry for the hijack. It's just that when I saw your base an image of all those Oak boards flashed through my mind. Thanks, Joe.

Hey Joe,

Thank you..
I used the leftover 4” oak flooring and 1 x 2 for the inside I ripped downs 1 x 6 oak to 4” for the outside, 5 pieces laminated total.  Yes overlap the inside boards and just 45 the outside (strong enough to hold a truck!) look at the picture of how I built the inside “built to hold a lot of weight top and bottom”.

I probably wouldn’t plane all of that oak, I’d make something with weathered wood… I’ll take any of the wood you don’t want,,,,,,!

no problem with any questions, just not sure when I could answer.....

• Like 1

I recently used india ink to blacken parysof a small project, and wasn't all that happy with the result. The black was very pure and solid, but woukd never dry thoroughly enough that it wouldn't rub off while being handled. I tried some bla k kiwi liquid shoe polish / leather dye, and it seems much more durable. Using a sponge-applicator bottle is much less messy than a brush, too.

Glenn, thanks for the basics of the table, it does look very stout. I was all pumped up to start planing and laminating my fence boards, then life got in the way. Temporarily on the back burner. Where do you live? I literally have a mile of fence boards, maybe more. You would be welcome to all you can haul. The fence contractor that took the fence down kept my name and number. He said he usually puts a free sign on the pile and it's gone in a day or two. Mostly gets cut up for firewood, good, dry Oak, Joe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 10:26 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I recently used india ink to blacken parysof a small project, and wasn't all that happy with the result. The black was very pure and solid, but woukd never dry thoroughly enough that it wouldn't rub off while being handled. I tried some bla k kiwi liquid shoe polish / leather dye, and it seems much more durable. Using a sponge-applicator bottle is much less messy than a brush, too.

wtnhighlander

the speedball India Ink went on super easy and covered great.  I'd use it again and probably will soon since I still have half leftover.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:08 PM, rarefish383 said:

Glenn, thanks for the basics of the table, it does look very stout. I was all pumped up to start planing and laminating my fence boards, then life got in the way. Temporarily on the back burner. Where do you live? I literally have a mile of fence boards, maybe more. You would be welcome to all you can haul. The fence contractor that took the fence down kept my name and number. He said he usually puts a free sign on the pile and it's gone in a day or two. Mostly gets cut up for firewood, good, dry Oak, Joe.

sure thing. thanks for the offer I live in NY.