Got wood?

Llama

20 minutes ago, Dknapp34 said:

Had a similar experience at my local (and usually good) lumber yard. The walnut was expensive and full of sap and knots. I heard china is getting all the good walnut for flooring. Wonder if that is part of the problem.

The premium logs are turned into veneer.  But yes, China is the problem with walnut prices, generally.

Nice pile Mel.  Time to work.

RwtoBW4.gif

Nice score.

Similar sour grapes around here for walnut.  The main yard in Los Angeles of my preferred yard sells the stuff to China, sight unseen, by the shipping container full.  They also supply a lot of flooring brands. 

I just stop by my "local" yard whenever I am in the area.  Sometimes I'ze lucky, sometimes I'ze not.  I have learned to just go look around for myself since mentioning "the W word" causes the owner's blood pressure to rise :).

It can be financially and 'dispacement-wise' painful as when they have good stock I tend to buy all I can haul.  There's plenty of room in my wallet afterwards but, I have to find room to stash the goods.

My local place in southern Wisconsin has 8/4 Walnut for the same $9.55 price, though I don't think they are really set up to ship it. I mostly get hard maple from them, because they sell at 8/4 at 4.17 and 4/4 at 2.39. It gives my contractor table saw a real workout cutting it, but at least it is nice and resistant for all the times i accidentally bang into it with something.