Shop Door Swing Direction

Brad N

What a great community this is. I've enjoyed quietly reading others posts over the past year!

I put up a new wall in the basement to begin a dedicated shop setup. Its time to hang a door now. 

Inside the shop I have ideas on where machines will be going but not finalized. Outside the shop door is the HVAC and water heater in an unfinished area.

I'm thinking for safety reasons that the door should swing outward into the utility area rather than into the shop. The door does have a window in it.

Is there any other considerations that I'm not thinking of?

Don’t put the table saw directly in front of the glass window. Seriously, I had a bluetooth speaker placed behind my table saw that was destroyed by a flying piece of stock that kicked back. Your window is probably the least of your concerns if you have a kickback, but still.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

2 words: pocket door.

I’ve never seen or been in a basement but, don’t most have concrete or cinder block walls? But if so, he could always build out for them. If you must have a hinged door, I would go for the swing out for the saved spaced and the safety. Some codes require it. 

Oh, and welcome bud to the forum!

7 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve never seen or been in a basement but, don’t most have concrete or cinder block walls? But if so, he could always build out for them. If you must have a hinged door, I would go for the swing out for the saved spaced and the safety. Some codes require it. 

Oh, and welcome bud to the forum!

Wait what...you've never seen or been in a basement... as in ever...?

the exterior walls are almost always concrete, masonry or stone, but the interior partition walls can and are often typical stud framing. I have a pocket door into my basement shop (which is really just a storage room I claimed as my shop when we moved into the place.