Moisture meter suggestions

Mark J

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Just my thoughts, no science or anything. After boards have cracked, warped or twisted on you caution becomes second nature. 

Like you, no science. Just my thoughts: I think if I had a stack of lumber or even just a few boards that needed to be monitored, I would rather drive a pair of the smallest brads I could find through to the center and leave them. I could then remeasure periodically using the same nails until I got the readings I was looking for. With a little planning, I might find a location that would be cut away later. However, I think the odds are that they would not fall in a critical area; especially if you could plan to have the holes on the back side of project piece. Even without that, I think the small holes could be made very inconspicuous most of the time.

23 gauge nails have about a 40% chance of snapping off when you try to pull it out of hardwood.  I go through at least 25-30 thousand micropin's a year.  I've had to pull quite a few for one reason or another. I've even got pliers designed to pull brads. Maybe 95 % or more long 18 gauge nails come out just fine but 23 gauge nails in hardwood will snap unexpectedly when you try to pull them. 

Pilot holes a bit smaller than a brad hand driven is another approach. Brass brads with a head are called escutcheon pins, those could work.

8 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Nail idea sounds great, theoretically, or for one board.  What about a stack of boards (the usual case.)

I can see nailing the ends, and/or nailing one in the center of the board;  I think some sampling is required.

My understanding is that it is common to put nails into several boards in a stack and run wires to the outside of the stack in order to take periodic measurements without unstacking. This is only what I have read. I have no experience doing it.