Long Board Jointing Sled

Firewood

I think you would be safer using the straight edge with a circular saw whether you just run your circular saw along the straight edge or make a jig so the saw rides the straight edge like a track saw.  But using it on the table saw seems a little dangerous.

I use this all the time.  Glue a factory edge of MDF or good plywood to a 1/4" Luan base.  Use the saw to cut it to final width after the glue is dry.  Leave enough hanging past the edge guide strip for saw motor clearance past the clamps you will use.  I used it outside a couple of days ago to cut some long 2x wedges, and they all came out perfectly.  I've never needed to spend the money for a track saw, because I don't need to use it inside finished houses. 

This particular cut was to let in replacement floor boards, so it was a finish cut.

I keep a shorter one for trimming door bottoms with.  This one is at least 5 years old, because the picture was taken in 2012, and it was the one I used two days ago.

This particular circular saw is the King of all sidewinders.  It's a Porter Cable  347 & 743 model numbers, 15 amp Magnesium saw that comes in left and right handed exact mirror images.  You can still find them on ebay or CL, but they are typically going for double what the cost when they were available in the early 1990's>

post-14184-0-72767600-1421548483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1