BORK knife

nateswoodworks

I think the only time I'd get uptight about linking to another site is if the person was clearly here just to drive traffic. But if you are posting relevant content that is useful to the community, link away. Unlike other forums, I understand how the internet works and I'm not afraid of losing traffic due to outbound links. :)

Nate, I have the BORK. Bob has a really great idea and I know it has worked well for others. I had to do way to much TS modifications to get mine to function well on my X5 Unisaw. I ended up taking Rick Delicco's advice and got the Biesemeyer aftermarket splitter. I LOVE it. Easy to install. Works with all my inserts and pops in and out with zero hassle.

Another note: Bob was great to work with and if I could get the BORK to be friendlier with my saw, I would gladly keep it on there, because it works much more like a roving knife than a splitter. Ultimately, I went with ease of use.

Lol! Well THAT makes more sense! Just to let you know Nate, I believe the problem for me was specific to the X5 model of Unisaw I have. The arbor casting just wouldn't quite work. But, I'd much rather have the BORK if I could get it to work, then I could just leave it on for almost all operations. After experiencing a nasty kickback, I try to always have my splitter in place.

After experiencing a nasty kickback, I try to always have my splitter in place.

Aren't all kickbacks nasty?! Guess if it popped your pesky neighbor in the nu... around the belt buckle, it would be okay.

I don't have a bork (though I know a Swedish chef), but I love the riving knife for non-through cuts. I was cutting inch-deep kerfs in a bunch of stock for splining a couple days ago and on at least a couple boards I felt it tighten up on the splitter. Reminded me I like it.

I love the riving knife for non-through cuts.

You must be talking about a splitter. A riving knife should follow the blade, right? So, it would always be able to stay in place. That's why I would love the BORK to work for me. It does a decent job of following the blade.

No, a riving knife for non-through cuts. It shadows the blade through height changes. A splitter doesn't and requires a through cut. I use my splitter all the time for those cuts.

And so this reply isn't completely pointless, borky bork... the Swedish chef doing hotdogs (someone needs to make a ChefStop to save the hotdogs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQfEBHbMMU

Edited by Paul-Marcel
Added pointless video

Nate - I've had a BORK on my Shop Fox W1677 (same as the Griz G1023SL) since August 2008, and have really good luck with it. He made a couple of revisions early on, and each was an improvement. AFAIK, the current BORKs haven't changed much since. Once you get it setup and fitted with a custom ZCI it works great, following the up/down/tilt movements of the blade. It can also be adjusted easily for height relative to the blade so it won't interfere with resawing or grooves.

+1 on dealing with Bob Ross...great guy, and IIRC he offers a 100% money back guarantee.

See my review on Lumberjocks here.