Gray finish on poplar

Chuklz

My wife asked me to build her an octagon shaped centerpiece for her breakfast nook table.  I built it and now trying to finish it with a gray finish as she wants a "beach" look to it.  I've tried a vinegar and steel wool solution on some scraps to weather the wood and it's close, but not quite there.  Before I continue toying with this approach I was curious if anyone has any other suggestions besides sticking the piece outside for a few months to let nature weather it naturally.

Most likely, the look you are after is what everyone else wants. On poplar, it's harder to get...

I use a GF White Wash, rub it in hard. Let it dry, then rub some GF Grey stain over it with a light swipe. The white lightens the grey, and in woods like oak, the pores/grain stays white and the main surface gets a fairly light grey color.

I had roughly 350' of edge banding I had to match to this material. Don't ask, I'm never doing that again. Learned a tough lesson about when to say no.

2017-11-10 14.33.57.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, wdwerker said:

Those hard learned lessons never fade from your memory do they ? But if you try to enlighten someone they will argue with you... fine go ahead and learn the hard way !

My problem was not knowing when to say no because I needed the job. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Llama said:

Most likely, the look you are after is what everyone else wants. On poplar, it's harder to get...

I use a GF White Wash, rub it in hard. Let it dry, then rub some GF Grey stain over it with a light swipe. The white lightens the grey, and in woods like oak, the pores/grain stays white and the main surface gets a fairly light grey color.

I had roughly 350' of edge banding I had to match to this material. Don't ask, I'm never doing that again. Learned a tough lesson about when to say no.

That looks great, I have a few more pieces of scrap, will try out both suggestion and see which one works better for her.  Appreciate the advice.

• Like 1