Danish Oil Recipes

Chuklz

Thanks to some good advice from other threads, I've been looking into making some danish oil. 

Do you use different ratios in certain situations?

I don't plan on adding color just yet, but was curious what recipes others use when adding color to their recipe. When adding stain how is that worked in to the ratio?

For a long time I thought Sam Maloof’s finish was the best thing since sliced bread. Buying the seperate ingredients and mixing it ended up being expensive and wasteful if it didn’t get used. I’ll still use it when the right project calls for it though. 

When I discovered wiping poly, I had a go at mixing my own but the results were never the same as buying a premixed can. 

The 'classic' home mix is 1:1:1 MS, BLO, and Varnish and then play with it and adjust based on what you want it to behave like by playing with scraps.  More varnish helps it build faster, more oil makes it take longer to dry, more MS makes it flash off faster.  If you look at the can of Watco it is mostly MS, so a 1:1:1 home mix will behave very differently.  Making your own is more to make it behave just like you want, so there won't be a 'best' ratio versus just finding what you like. 

If you enjoy making finishes up I also recommend getting some shellac flakes and denatured alcohol, once I started using shellac I started using a lot less Danish oil. 

2 hours ago, Gilgaron said:

The 'classic' home mix is 1:1:1 MS, BLO, and Varnish and then play with it and adjust based on what you want it to behave like by playing with scraps.  More varnish helps it build faster, more oil makes it take longer to dry, more MS makes it flash off faster.  If you look at the can of Watco it is mostly MS, so a 1:1:1 home mix will behave very differently.  Making your own is more to make it behave just like you want, so there won't be a 'best' ratio versus just finding what you like. 

If you enjoy making finishes up I also recommend getting some shellac flakes and denatured alcohol, once I started using shellac I started using a lot less Danish oil. 

57 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

1:1:1 And then I add an additional part of varnish for the final topcoat.

Any recommendations on the varnish that you use?  I'm a year into wood working and have no experience with finishing other than the watco danish oil, rattle can lacquer and big box store shellac.  I have a bunch of scrap pieces that I'm going to leverage to practice various finishes on, but if I can learn from others to at least start me in the right direcition it will help save some money not buying products that won't necessarily benefit me.  I'm excited to try some finishes out on scrap, but honestly have a bit of anxiety when finishing my actual pieces.  I'm sure with experience the anxiety will subside a bit.....hopefully.

51 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Shellac flakes keep well, mixed shellac has a shorter shelf life. I always test shellac before use on a project. Brush a couple coats on a scrap & let dry overnight. If it feels soft and sticky the next day it's past it's usable life.

When you say shorter shelf life, would you say weeks or months?  I typically would be storing them in some mason jars.

For shellacs the flakes last more or less forever, in solution you have 6 months or so.  I have a little piece of picture frame glass I test the shellac on.  For varnish I use some fast-dry oil varnish from Sherwin Williams, upon a recommendation to me that it was one of the few that still contained alkyd resins versus most that are polyurethane.  The difference between the two may be fairly academic, but it seems to work well.  Don't make up too much at once as the resins appear to be able to polymerize after a bit in the mason jar, whereas in the can is still fine; I assume commercially blended varnish/oil blends have some emulsifiers or additives, but then again I've had half-cans of Arm-R-Seal turn into a block of plastic in the can...

Also enjoyable if you like messing with chemistry during your woodworking:  making your own hide glue from granules.  You can do "hot hide glue" or "liquid hide glue" depending on your preference.