How to Finishing Wenge?

Tim Buller

Does anyone have experience with finishing Wenge? I have used clear Lacquer and clear Polyurethane. Both or these products turn the wood almost completely black and when this happens you lose the look of the grain. Does anyone know of a way to stop this turning the wood black when putting a finish on the wood? 

Thank you in advance.

14 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

I’ve never tried it but one of the fine woodworking guys said on a podcast that he has scuffed it with a wire brush first, then applied finish.

Shop talk live at about 28:40 Mike Pekovich discusses this, I have some Wenge for an up coming project and may try this out on a sample

• Like 1

The little wenge I have used was polarizing. One side of the board had beautiful grey and brown grain that showed perfectly through 3 coats or ars. The other side got nasty and blew out any semblance of what is should have looked like. I'd definitely go with Steve's tried and true of use sample boards. Test your finish. 

• Thanks 1