What finish?

pkinneb

5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

LOL I wish, its a constant battle here. Even with central heat and air I have too keep them wiped down with Jajoba oil on a regular basis. I also use these 

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-VC2-2-NoRust-Vapor-Capsule/dp/B003T1N496/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520106877&sr=8-5&keywords=zerust

in my tool drawers and tool chest.

Those things would be the size of pillows within 2 months in Houston, but I just ordered 4 to give them a try. Thanks

Well it only took me five tries to get a CA process that provided the results I was looking for.

IMG_2899.jpg.26316b058907b41f309043202beb8d4e.jpg

Here are some things I learned

• Slow the lathe down, all the way down, when you're applying the CA finish. If your lathe can't go to 50-100 RPM like mine (lowest speed 600 RPM) shut the lathe off as soon as the finish is on and let it dry. If you leave the lathe running you get ripples in the finish that are hard to remove.
  • Lots of thin coats (I settled on 10 of Medium CA finish) and use a paper towel, folded into a pad about an 1" wide and four sheets thick, to smooth the coats. I started at the right and went to the left then shut the lathe off.
  • Don't use accelerator, at least for me I had better results letting the finish dry on its own about 5-10 minutes a coat. Don't add a coat until the prior coat is completely cured
  • Once you have your coats on start with 240 grit again keep the lathe down at 600RPM or less then move through the grits to 600. I then switched to my acrylic pen micro mesh soft touch sanding pads (with water) and finished with satin polish.

Now I need to knock out three more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...