What finish?

pkinneb

32 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Sorry can read the post or care about what you are saying. I'm blinded by the overwhelming sexiness of the (?)vesper tools. Wow.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

:) The brass hammer is by a local artisan Dema Gamagonov, my favorite marking gauge is a Hamilton and the awl iand marking knife are Blue Spruce...but I do have a matching Vesper bevel gauge :o 

1 hour ago, ..Kev said:

I like to burnish with shavings and then hit them with a coat or 2 of ARS..

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

For what I can see on your pic, the marking knives look shiny, maybe CA glue was used. The other tools prolly a mix of oil and wax.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

...Maybe lacquor wiped on and then rubbed back with steel wool for a semi gloss sheen?

23 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

I like the feel of BLO applied and rubbed with 600 grit.  maybe 3 or 4 coats.  Not shiny but  feels nice.

Thanks guys I think I'll try a test piece with a few of these options.

8 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

The brass hammer is by a local artisan Dema Gamagonov, my favorite marking gauge is a Hamilton and the awl iand marking knife are Blue Spruce...but I do have a matching Vesper bevel gauge

Wow. You win the award for most pimped out marking tools. You have a problem, Paul. Seek help. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Wow. You win the award for most pimped out marking tools. You have a problem, Paul. Seek help. 

LOL yeah I do but hey I'm ok with it...I mean it could be worse right Shane :)

So I tried my friction polish and wax not terrible but I think I'm going to try Tom's CA finish suggestion next...I guess its a good thing this piece of cocobolo doesn't match so I won't get to upset when it hits the fir pit

IMG_2828.jpg.9ac1ba7055a0c635fbf7d08ff39288b2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:
LOL yeah I do but hey I'm ok with it...I mean it could be worse right Shane 
So I tried my friction polish and wax not terrible but I think I'm going to try Tom's CA finish suggestion next...I guess its a good thing this piece of cocobolo doesn't match so I won't get to upset when it hits the fir pit
IMG_2828.jpg.9ac1ba7055a0c635fbf7d08ff39288b2.jpg

Lol, you know it!

Is that the IBC chisels?

I was on my phone when i asked the question. Now that im on my laptop i can see the IBC logo :-)

Edited by shaneymack
found the answer....
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AceHoleInOne said:

More I think on this, who the hell needs a finish? Let the natural juices from your old salt caveman hands get deep into the wood.  Called patina baby! Its woodworking............................................:P

-Ace- 

Me.  LOL yeah not going to happen :o  

On 2/22/2018 at 5:18 PM, Tom King said:

Those look like CA.  You can buy small bottles of it, specifically for finishing turnings, on ebay with free shipping

Tom thanks again for the heads up! I had never heard of this but I got my starter kit today and gave it a try, well actually two tries definitely the look I'm going for just need to do a little more research on technique. here is a pic of the second try

IMG_2863.jpg.9fcbc584cf45a0b4bdb03836fef7a2f0.jpg

Shane I through the Vesper bevel square in there for you LOL

• Like 2

Tom thanks again for the heads up! I had never heard of this but I got my starter kit today and gave it a try, well actually two tries definitely the look I'm going for just need to do a little more research on technique. here is a pic of the second try

IMG_2863.jpg.9fcbc584cf45a0b4bdb03836fef7a2f0.jpg
Shane I through the Vesper bevel square in there for you LOL
I saw that ! Thanks ! He really makes some of the sexiest tools out there imo.

14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

The wood is obviously beautiful but the metal(s) are pristine. Do you guys not have humidity or fingerprints in MN? 

LOL I wish, its a constant battle here. Even with central heat and air I have too keep them wiped down with Jajoba oil on a regular basis. I also use these 

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-VC2-2-NoRust-Vapor-Capsule/dp/B003T1N496/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520106877&sr=8-5&keywords=zerust

in my tool drawers and tool chest.