Wedding sign finish

Andrew1

I am making a sign in book type sign for a wedding. I need to seal it and then have people sign it and than finish again. Any thoughts on the finish? I was thinking a clear shellac to seal and a lacquer to seal in the marker but also heard that a Sharpe is oil based and can ruin the shellac. The wood is maple with cherry endbaords type design and they want a more natural wood color and for it not to yellow the maple

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Acetone will wipe Sharpie marks away clean. Shellac & a waterbourne top coat is how I would go. Or shellac, sign then another coat of shellac before lacquer.  Make test boards before you finish the sign !

As will rubbing alcohol.

Artist's charcoal pencil will show nicely on bare wood. Then spray over that.

A grease pencil would mark on any cured finish, but might be hard to seal over.

Do you have time to let any ink dry thoroughly before top coating? Sharpie may do better after drying a few days. Then I would think a water borne finish would be least likely to smear the ink.

Just to update I tried the shellac on the whole sign after just using on a test piece. Once it was bigger than a couple inches it looked like crap. So I tried another coat looked just as bad. Tried to buff it out looked awful. So I sanded it to wood and went with spray lacquer. Both shellac and lacquer worked with artist pens. I may just have had a bad can of shellac idk it was streaky and didn't soak in evenly at all to the maple or cherry.