High gloss sanding tip

difalkner

I haven't heard it stated that way before but it is definitely true. Skipping a grit is not a good idea. It take 6 to 8 times longer to remove the scratches when you skip a grit.

I charge 35-40 % more for a high gloss finish because every tiny flaw turns into a obvious crater ! It always takes far more finish, time and abrasives to achieve an acceptable appearance.

• Like 2

I’ve always done what I saw and read and used the pencil lines and when they were removed, I considered myself done. And in doing so, each progressive grit usually takes me half the time of the previous. Now you’re telling me I need to spend twice the time behind that exciting dust producer:o? I shall play like I never read this. 

• Like 2

I think it depends on the finish you'll be using and the type of wood.  Successive passes with finer grits do take less than the coarser grit but it's the only surefire way I know to remove the scratches left by the coarser grit.

When I do the Walnut trophies, for instance, and shoot them with clear Nitro I can see scratches if all I did was sand with 120 and give a token pass with 150 or 180 grit.  But when I step through the grits 120/150/220 on bare wood I almost don't need to do anything with the finish except spray it on and let it dry.  And it must make a difference because the trophy shop I do these for always comments on the finish being better than anything else they get from other guys who do work for them.

David

• Like 1

Interesting. My observation is that when using the pencil line method to determine when the full surface has been sanded, the lines disappear a little more quicky as I step up to higher grits.

But I usually start at a lower grit (80, most often), especially on panel glue ups, to be sure any joint irregulaities are smoothed out.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve always done what I saw and read and used the pencil lines and when they were removed, I considered myself done. And in doing so, each progressive grit usually takes me half the time of the previous. Now you’re telling me I need to spend twice the time behind that exciting dust producer:o? I shall play like I never read this. 

Well I think we already already pressured a Domino in your shop. Why not add a CT Vac and 6" ec ?  The missus wouldn't mind..

You already have the CT vac Coop. A ETS 150 sander really is an excellent way to sand. The 3mm orbit does super fine prep for finishing. The 5mm orbit version cuts a little faster but can leave barely visible fish hook lines. With finer grit paper I can't see them with my ETS150/5. I've got both sanders & 2 vacs to speed up all the sanding before we can finish a job.

Sorry for the high jack, we return you to your regularly scheduled program, back to Davids high gloss guitar !

• Like 2