Varnish choices

curlyoak

I use mostly wipe-on finishes, as I can never seem to get brush marks leveled out. Never ran into problems with Minwax poly products, but most here seem to favor General Finishes. 

The pro shops have resources that are not always available to us hobbyists, but those tend to be for spraying, anyway.

I'm primarily working with wiping products as well.

I recently re-watched this video from Marc. In general, he seems to have affirmed that Arm R Seal edges out Minwax in a variety of categories, but the difference isn't overwhelming and you can clearly make beautiful projects with either. I've never worked with Waterlox but it seems to give a very different result from minwax or Arm R Seal. 

People don't mention it on here much, but I've also had good results with General Finishes Gel Top Coat. for one thing, I have fewer issues with it drying out in the can than i do with Arm R Seal.

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/wiping-varnish-shootout/

• Thanks 1

Arm-R-Seal wipe on with a rag is my finish of choice. Mostly because if there are any vertical surfaces I don't have to worry about sags or runs.  I do apply it with a sponge brush on table tops when I want to build the thickness a little.  I use MInwax fast dry poly varnish for those very few projects like wall hangings or table tops where I want to buld up enough finish so that there is no more texture to the surface.  I use a foam brush or natraul bristle brush for these.

Thank you for the comments. I use waterlox sealer and like the results. But it is not hard enough for a table top or desk top. So can I use a wipe on that is compatible with oil finishes that offers a harder top coat. I used a waterlox product that fits that description but I don't like the results. The flow is poor and leaves ridges. But the original sealer is excellent. I am comfortable with 3 coats for a final finish but not in a high use area.