Guitar repair

lewisc

Anyone know about guitar repairs? I’m looking at a second hand guitar that is a steal but one thing holding me back is some damage. I normally buy secondhand with the option to resell to break even or lose $50 or so. 

I was thinking this repair could be stabilised with some CA glue. 

951C27A3-1DBB-4F4F-BC47-EF4B964830C3.jpeg

I've asked for the model number so once I find that out, it'll either be a yes or no. If it's what I think it is, its priced quite cheap. I love Ibanez guitars, especially vintage ones. They've brought a few of the range back and are cheaper than the vintage ones but with the same look.

A complete refinish would be nice except  I don;t want to be into an electric guitar for much more than it's worth. I know my ability and will end up being sold one day. I used to have a few electrics that were super nice but way beyond what my skill level deserved. I sold them all to get one really nice acoustic. 

I would leave it and call it "Road Worn" a very popular finish these days that people are prepared to pay a hefty premium for. Fender, one of many manufacturers, do road worn ranges (bike chains, screwdrivers, car keys and sandpaper all used on perfectly good brand new instruments) and charge you an arm and a leg for the privilege of owning an exact replica of your favorite artists guitar who wore it out thru playing!

You will make it far worse by trying to fix it with CA glue. It probably was finished with acrylic by the state of the cracking. More like a plastic finish rather than nitro cellulose that micro-crazes (some people like that) when it gets old. The impact damage will not have done any damage to the structure of the instrument as it fell on one of the strongest points.

• 3 months later...

It blows my mind that people are paying good money for something brand new that people are breaking to look like a replica.TerryMcK, the road worn look should come from the hard work of getting the tools that way, but I digress. lewisc, did you end up getting the guitar and doing anything with it?

I took too long to make a decision and someone else grabbed it.  No tears here. Every now and again I get the urge to buy an electric guitar and crank some chords. I used to own about 5 electrics but got rid of them all. I know my limits as a guitarist, I'm not that great.  Now I have one decent acoustic (Martin 000-15) and it's my forever guitar.

I cringe at every ding my guitar gets but eventually accept it as part of it's journey.

• Like 1