Hanging Kitchen cabinet doors

John Veevers

I believe it's called a screw dowel (or screwdowel).  Try googling hinge plastic dowel - it should generate some options for ordering them on-line (probably pay more for shipping than the product).  Once you identify the product, you can probably call some local hardware stores to see if you can find it.

Cup hinges come 2 ways, knock in ( dowels are already mounted on the hinge) and screw in (no dowels). Hinge brand might affect the dowels. Die cast cups use a different dowel from the stamped steel cups (which have a countersink for the screw) .

If you haven't discarded the old doors you can carefully cut around the dowels without hitting the plastic and pick at the MDF to free them undamaged. I think the hole is 8mm. Placement of the dowel holes in relation to the cup hole is critical.

I often just use a Vix countersink bit to center a pilot hole for the screw. You can put a few drops of epoxy in the holes and after it's cured re-pilot. The epoxy soaked into the MDF will help prevent the screws from stripping out.

• Like 2