Stanley depth adjustment

Tmize

So I have a Stanley planes 3-7 an I was doing some work the other night an as I going back an forth with my #7 an #4 the depth adjustment rotation is backwards of each other. So I checked my other as a comparison my 3-5 all are clockwise to deepen the cut. Now my 6-7 are counter clockwise. So at first I thought that maybe it was the difference in later models an older ones. My 3-5 are all later models 1930’s to 1950’s an my 6,7 are 1890-1910. Okay I answered my own question nope I’ve got a 1950’s #7 an it also counter clock. So my question is this something Stanley did when it got to the larger sizes bench planes or did I just happen to get a repair job on my larger planes? Because all the reading I’ve done always says clockwise to deepen cut. Once tuned all of them work beautifully it’s just a lil aggravating when going between them being backwards 

Interesting i didn't think that Stanley had any castings that were stamped with a patant date of 1890 the three i know are Mar 25 1902 Aug 19 1902 and apr 19 1910

Wonder if the one you have isn't made by someone else and has Stanley parts on it?

I don't know much about the bedrock planes but there could be a chance your #6 is a bedrock casting and has an offbrand frog. I want to say the later years of the regular stanly planes adopted the early bedrock frog i could be wrong but the frog adjustment screw was on the bedrock planes from the begining they didn't start the square sides untill 1912.

https://virginiatoolworks.com/2015/04/12/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-stanley-bed-rock-planes/

I knew when I picked up my #6 it was a mutt. It had victory blade an chip breaker on it. The lever cap is a unmarked key hole slot. I can’t remember witch one it is but either the 7 or 6 is stamped Bailey in the casting.  But all the lateral adjuster say Stanley on them

I’ll probably look at swapping the frogs out on my #7 tonight to the later model one I have. It has the bigger depth adjuster on it which I like better I know I tried when I first got it to try swap just the wheel an it wouldn’t fit like it was the wrong tread pattern an just left at I may try an swap the whole frog. That would fix most of my aggravation with this. My #6 that’s backwards I mostly just use it on my shooting board so not much adjusting with it.