French cleat hangers

The French cleat will be strong enough. One concern, though, is that is a wide mirror and relatively heavy. How strong in the top rail of the frame? If you have the cleat, say, in the middle, it might sag and not be straight after a couple seasons. The other thing with a cleat is that it takes up some space; do you have room for it or will it make the whole frame much thicker than planned?

No it sits on my garage wall if you look at the angle it does not sit out to much iv got it on a wire right now but not for much longer j just need to coat it and I'm done so I was going to do two cleats on the far side or one big cleat all the way across then give it a decuritive boarder to hide the cleat and give it a noticable look

They now have French cleats that are made of metal. For heavy objects, I have use epoxy on the screws when I sink them into the item to be hung. I use 2 1/2 #8's in at least 2 studs. I have floating shelves with French cleats that are holding 40 lbs. of books with no sagging.

Depending on the french cleat material it will hold a TON of weight. I put a french cleat system into my shop made from 3/4" voidless birch ply and since I attached the cleats to the studs, it is holding cabinets, shelving for wood storage, jigs, etc. Once I figure out how to post a picture I will do so.