Replacing Knives on Jet 6CSDX

Jonathan McCully

Just bought a used Jointer and am switching out the blades. This Jointer is designed for quick set knives, however, I picked up some Freud non-quick set knives which I was led to believe could also work in this cutter head. These traditional knives doesn’t have machined holes which is giving me difficulty in understanding how to install them.  If anyone has some experience with this anc can explain it to me, I’d really appreciate it.  Excited to start using my tool and would rather not have to get another set of knives.

I have the same thing on my Powermatic PM54.   Those stubs in the center align them, and then the screws hold them in place.   They're double sided, and on mine I swapped them over and will say they were perfectly aligned and worked great.

But new knives are $80-90... there's some guys on ebay selling them for $50 but don't know anything about them.   And they appear to be disposable.   You might be able to lightly hone them, but any sort of sharpening is going to mess up the alignment which becomes a bigger pain.

Or there's the Byrd Shelix head for $350... which in the long run would make sense.