How’s the hurricane crowd?

Tpt life

This one is headed straight for us this time.  The trouble with being directly in line is that we won't know which way the wind will be blowing until it gets here.   We may be either East, or West of the centerline by the time it gets here.  They're saying now max wind we're supposed to get is 50 mph, which won't be that bad.  We spent all yesterday boarding up the old houses I look after.

Fortunately, our soil is really dry now, and it's supposed to go through fast, so hopefully it won't be so bad.

One tractor, that normally stays under the shed is out in the open.  Its fuel gauge hasn't worked for years, and I do forget when I put fuel in it, so it runs out sometimes.  It's a little bit of trouble, because the fuel line has to be bled.   This time, I decided to leave it sitting, and put a new sending unit in it while it was empty.   If the new sending unit shows up before the rain gets here, I'll stick it in, put some fuel in it, and put it back under the shed.   If it doesn't, I have a couple of cans of degreaser I'm going to spray on it, and let the 6" of rain wash it for me.  Looks like we have a couple of hours before the rain hits.

It got sporty here for a little while, after dark.  We were lucky though, before the eye passed over us, there was a weak band that preceded it that didn't amount to much that passed right over us.  I thought it wasn't going to amount to anything after that.  After the eye went over, it was rough for a little while.  Our power went off for a short time.  I heard a couple of trees hit the ground to the North of the house, but nothing close.  After the eye passed, the wind was out of the North, which is our only protected side by a good sized stand of tall Pine forest.   I'm sure we lost some trees in the woods, but I don't think many, and none around the house.  I'm not going to try to see anything until after sunrise tomorrow.  It was really surprising how much energy it still had in it after crossing that much country before it came through here.

I really feel bad for anyone that decided to stay in Mexico Beach last night!!

We lost a lot of Pine trees, but not enough to matter.   The lanes left after we had it thinned a year and a half ago, are still thick enough that they will need more thinning at some point anyway.  At least there were no big spots knocked down, like Fran did. 

Nothing knocked down in the yard, but a lot of tree litter.  We shouldn't be having any dead limbs falling for a long time!

Big Mike, that works for me, had the top of a big Sweetgum break off, and fall towards his house.  It barely brushed against the side of the house, but didn't hurt a thing!

• Like 1