Waterlox help

Dnorris1369

hey guys. need some help with finishing my kitchen table.  I chose Waterlox to finish a hickory table.  I am on my final coat and it is not smooth.  I'm not sure how to describe it is the problem.  its not the dust nibs and its not sticky(well maybe it is) if you run your hand across it it kinda grabs your hand but not sticky like chewing gum.  not sure if im describing this good lol. basically you can't run your hand across it at all. it kinda grabs your hand in other words.  any advice.  this is a week after application. my last two coats have done this. I thought I was on my final coat but sanded back and tried again.  I now currently have 5 coats.  thanks everyone

It sounds like one of the previous few costs did not dry completely.   I have had issues with waterlox like that.  24 hours is usually enough between coats.  Waterlox needs lots of fresh air exchange as well... open windows with cross ventilation and a fan blowing out one is what they recommend.

I have used waterlox for years and never had that issue. Perhaps the can is contaminated? Has the can been left open for hours or overnight? Waterlox will talk to you. Find their website and you will find a phone number. Ask for technical support. Please post your experience if you make the call. You may have put it on too thick? It requires modest coats and no more than 4 thin, not thinned, coats. If you did put in on too thick it needs to come off and start over.

The original sealer, what I use, makes a very nice amber finish. First coat strikes in. Second coat starts to build. I sand 400 on the second coat. Third coat adds luster. fourth coat is aloud on my rules if the first three were not too thick. Fifth coat is a mistake. Too much product. Could be the current problem here. A fifth coat could look very good, but on your vertical surfaces in a year will start to sag and on the touch areas will eventually be gummy.

After a year or 2 with a light sanding will take nicely a 1 coat freshener.