WOOD BAFFLES

jumpinjim

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THOSE WHO ANSWERD MY POST ON WORKSHOP TABLE HIEGHT. I AM NOW IN PROCESS OF ENCLOSING DUST CONTRPL SYSTEM. FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED, IF THE 2 HP MOTOR IS ENCLOSED, THERE MUST BE AIRFLOW ACROSS MOTOR FOR COOLING.  I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO BUILD BAFFLE ON THE EXHAUST SIDE TO DAMPIN SOUND. THANK YOU

Air sound is caused primarily by restriction leading to pressure release on the outflow end.  Baffles open outward and deflect air to widen out the path of exit so it is under less pressure. Like mentioned above if you turn while widening, each place the air stream hits a wall slows its velocity, but only if it has some room to escape the pressure in the larger section. 

But any bends placed in the air flow path to dampen sound will also restrict the flow of cooling air.  

And sound will just as easily travel through the cooling air inlet as the exhaust.  

No free lunch is there.  It's a challenging problem and we'll be interested to see your solution.  

30 minutes ago, Mark J said:

But any bends placed in the air flow path to dampen sound will also restrict the flow of cooling air. 

Read my post again carefully. Restriction in volume and restriction in velocity are two different concepts. Increase the volume of the pipe while decreasing the velocity of the air calls for diversion (bends) but not constriction.