Restoring a music box

Minnesota Steve

So I was at an estate sale yesterday, and picked up an old music box.   I'm not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing maybe 30-50 years.   It has plastic feet on it, and it appears the top is finished with a thick polyurethane or epoxy type finish.   I just thought it was kind of pretty due to the marquetry in the top, and it has a 17 note Reuge swiss movement playing Isola di Capri.   I paid $20 so it's not like I'm out a lot of money if I can't do much to it.

The movement is a bit sticky, sometimes it just stops playing even though it's wound up.   I thought maybe if I took it apart and cleaned it, maybe use some sewing machine oil on the shafts it'd help.

But the top is pretty bad.   The finish is cracked down the center, there's also a point right above the center flower where it's yellowed a bit.   Not sure what happened, I suspect the box was dropped at some point or something dropped on it.   It's also really dull, but I think I just need to clean it up and polish it a bit.

IMG_0287.thumb.jpg.162234b6c3c8fc8afac6c9eda8507323.jpg

I'm just not sure what to do with the crack.    It's not real apparent in this picture, but it goes across the entire box, and you can see it along the top of the center flower.   The top and sides of the box look like walnut, but when you open it up the inside of the top appears to be a mahogany.   So it's clearly something covered in veneer.   I don't think it would be a good idea for me to try to remove and sand the finish, as I'd risk damaging the veneer.    Maybe I can just try to fill in the crack and try to polish it up?   Looking for some ideas.

It's also cracked on the inside, but those cracks aren't as apparent.

IMG_0286.thumb.jpg.2ee22663dccb11e3a74bad6ae80182f7.jpg

I will say this, I thought the way the affixed the hinge was clever... the top is screwed, but the hinge is affixed to the base using nails.   I believe this was done intentionally so that if the top was knocked back hard the nails would pull out rather than tearing out, allowing it to be easily repaired.   Just something I noticed.

Nice find. Good luck.  I am poor at refinishing so will not hazard a guess.  I strongly suggest that you stop by Wood craft in Bloomington and talk to Kevin Southwick on Saturday (call first to be sure tha he will be there).  He restores and repairs furniture for a living and teaches finishing classes at the store.

On 12/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, Ronn W said:

Nice find. Good luck.  I am poor at refinishing so will not hazard a guess.  I strongly suggest that you stop by Wood craft in Bloomington and talk to Kevin Southwick on Saturday (call first to be sure tha he will be there).  He restores and repairs furniture for a living and teaches finishing classes at the store.

That's not a bad idea.    I've been wanting to take his finishing class as well, might be a good opportunity.