Teak Dilemma

Hammer5573

My well intentioned son purchased a large roll of paper backed teak veneer for me for Christmas.  Although this wouldn’t have been one of my choices, I want to try to use it on some type of project. I thought that I read that teak can’t be  finished with traditional wood finishes?  It seems to have a oily type of finish on it?  Can anyone advise me on what type of finish to use? 

7 minutes ago, Hammer5573 said:

My well intentioned son purchased a large roll of paper backed teak veneer for me for Christmas.  Although this wouldn’t have been one of my choices, I want to try to use it on some type of project. I thought that I read that teak can’t be  finished with traditional wood finishes?  It seems to have a oily type of finish on it?  Can anyone advise me on what type of finish to use? 

If you wipe down the teak with lacquer thinner, or denatured alcohol you should be able to apply any finish you want right after it flashes off. I suggest a coat of seal coat or dewaxed shellac followed by what ever film forming finish you like.

If you want to do an oil wax finish don't apply the de waxed shellac just wipe with the alcohol or lacquer thinner and apply.

It'd be helpful to know what finish you want to apply or what your typical finish is.

Hammer, I have a great son that does similiar gifts. Three years in a row, he gave me a different Dremmel tool. It was hard for me to tell him that I would much rather have long sleeve Carhartt tees or a new 8” jointer. But his heart’s in the right place. Every once in a while I will bring up that without that particular Dremmel, I don’t know what I would have done. Good luck with your decision as I’m sure it will please both you and him! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...