Oval Segmented Bowl

krtwood

I like the idea and the execution, I just think that the fine shaping would be a pita. In the raking light you had in the video i could see the high spots and low spots you were dealing with and that made things look difficult. The thought that came to my mind was, for example, the festool RO90 with an interface pad to get the inside smoothed. The thick foam pad would allow the paper to even things out more smoothly maybe? I'm sure there are other tools that do the same thing that was just the one that came to mind.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I like the idea and the execution, I just think that the fine shaping would be a pita. In the raking light you had in the video i could see the high spots and low spots you were dealing with and that made things look difficult. The thought that came to my mind was, for example, the festool RO90 with an interface pad to get the inside smoothed. The thick foam pad would allow the paper to even things out more smoothly maybe? I'm sure there are other tools that do the same thing that was just the one that came to mind.

That's pretty much what that sander I was using is, without the random orbit action.  I found what I needed to do was orient the pad so that it was straddling over the low area rather than going parallel to it.  Then finish up going with the grain to leave a better surface.  But the inside went a lot easier than I expected it to.  With the bottom of the bowl not attached yet I was able to get one hand down there for the final hand sanding.

• Like 1

A co-worker was just looking over my shoulder and we both came to the same conclusion.  We think that beast of a machine is some sort of lathe.  The belt from the motor goes to the far side of the large box on the perch above.  We think the large box is some sort of transmission and then there's a drive belt that comes down from the side facing the camera.  The mounting plate would be on the side facing away from the camera.

Though slightly educated, all of the above is a guess.  Not a guess is that they make some beautiful pieces.  

I think you're right, because looking closer at what's going on behind there you can see a couple of chainsaws on a weird device.  What he's most known for is carving the inside of his turnings with a chainsaw.  Though I really can't imagine what value there is in mounting the motor up in the air like that.