Assembly Table

..Kev

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Cool video, short and sweet! Is the bottom side of the box ply? How did you attach the box to the frame? 

Both sides of the torsion box top are MDF.  To attached the top, I used lags through the rails so, it's removable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Thanks, as always for the video Kev.  Great stuff.  I think this walnut and ply trend could really take off :D.

57b0d68db52a5_TS-Outfeed(38).jpg.319662ad7bc8dd1e44b96858acaa34c6.jpg57b0d7922e029_TSdrawers(35).JPG.e2b4be4ac80c2b33ce7162cd0594c2c3.JPG

lol, does that mean I can blame you? ;)

I really like your under saw cabinet!  I have one of these on my list as well.  I'm ben interested in your storage solutions inside those drawers!  I've always been a fan of your shop and storage solutions!

On 2/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, ..Kev said:

lol, does that mean I can blame you? ;)

Everyone else does :lol:.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, ..Kev said:

I really like your under saw cabinet!  I have one of these on my list as well.  I'm ben interested in your storage solutions inside those drawers!  I've always been a fan of your shop and storage solutions!

Those drawers are super handy.  Blade & other wrenches, tilt box, a flashlight, pencils, miter-gauge add-ons, stop blocks, iBox, ZCI's, lions and tigers and bears - oh my!

I don't think I do anything very clever inside those drawers.  Let me go see if there is anything picture worthy . . . 

Meh! Pretty low-tech.  Except for a few dividers, most of the stuff is large enough to just set there.  Your dividers have got me thinking about my assembly table drawers though.  They deserve some attention on the inside.

TS drawers (36).jpg

TS drawers (38).jpg

TS drawers (39).jpg

• Like 2

Been there done that. Great video Kev. Everybody needs an assembly table and 4 foot square is a great size, indeed the size of mine with very similar construction. Mine is trimmed out in old reclaimed oak floor boards.

One additional I did make to mine is a pair of handles, 4 in total, to lift the top off the base. Then it can be stacked vertically on edge when not needed in shops with less space. The other thing with mine is I deliberately made the legs so the top surface of the torsion box is just 24” off the ground. When assembling tall furniture, like a chest of drawers, it makes a difference not having to stand on a step ladder avoiding banging bald heads on ceiling trusses LOL. Smaller jobs can still be assembled whilst sat down.

Keep  the great content coming. BTW I must have missed your shop move from the recording studio. When did that happen?

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Everyone else does :lol:.

Those drawers are super handy.  Blade & other wrenches, tilt box, a flashlight, pencils, miter-gauge add-ons, stop blocks, iBox, ZCI's, lions and tigers and bears - oh my!

I don't think I do anything very clever inside those drawers.  Let me go see if there is anything picture worthy . . . 

Meh! Pretty low-tech.  Except for a few dividers, most of the stuff is large enough to just set there.  Your dividers have got me thinking about my assembly table drawers though.  They deserve some attention on the inside.

Thanks!  That actually helps quite a bit!  That cabinet is a bit low on my priority list right now but, I'm sure it's coming at some point this year..  To be honest, I'm getting tired of working with ply and making cabinets!

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Keep  the great content coming. BTW I must have missed your shop move from the recording studio. When did that happen?

That was 2 shops ago.... :lol:

I thought about making this one shorter but, I'm now blessed with a good amount of space so, just added wheels to use as an extra surface where needed or roll it out of the way when not needed.