Clemenules

Oil + wax mix: finish and maintenance question

Can I use an oil and wax mixture for maintenance of pieces that I have previously finished with an oil and wax mix?

Seems to me there is contradicting information on this. I'm aware of the following info:

1. We can mix wax with (boiled) linseed oil to create a 2-in-1 finish. Oil penetrates the wood, wax leaves a subtle shine and soft protective layer. 

2. We can not apply oil over wax. Oil needs to penetrate the wood. In the presence of wax it will just sit on the wax and not be useful for wood. We can apply the oil, but when we wipe of the excess, you're basically wiping off everything you applied in the first place.... This sounds logical to me and seems like an exercise in futility, no? 

Thanks for sharing your insights! 

I'm not a finishing expert by any stretch. One of my go-to finishes is Osmo PolyX oil hardwax. It has several different oils mixed with wax. 

I have not had any issues whatsoever touching up the finish on anything I've made using the same Osmo oil/wax mixture. That's one of the reasons I love it so much.

I use wax mixed with mineral oil (which does not cure).  You can re-apply it as needed/wanted.  

BLO will cure, albeit at a glacial rate.  So I don't know if that can be re-applied.  

I kind of think (again, no finishing expert) that the oil becomes a softener for the wax after the first few coats of oil have penetrated. A delivery method for the wax, if you will. Depending on the oil, it can cure (flash off) or be left on the surface, then buffed off. Most protective waxes are too hard to easily be applied without some sort of oil or spirit solvent to soften them.

Thx for answers so far. I could trial and error my way through this but would much rather learn from others and speed things up. 

Re. oil acting as a softener for the wax: that's the only thing that would make sense. Maybe adding a little turpentine would further facilitate this? 

I've used Osmo PolyX on my dining table for for about a year. No complaints. I also just finished my desk with Osmo - after a month, it still feels great. 

I used to mix my own wax, tung oil and BLO finish but it started making sense to buy pre-made finishes. My vote is now Osmo when it comes to wax finishes.

What about using a cabinet makers wax? http://www.ubeaut.com.au/trad.html This is one I use here in Aus.

2 hours ago, Clemenules said:

Thx for answers so far. I could trial and error my way through this but would much rather learn from others and speed things up. 

Re. oil acting as a softener for the wax: that's the only thing that would make sense. Maybe adding a little turpentine would further facilitate this? 

I know that with Osmo PolyX it's not necessary. I just put a little on a soft cloth. The wax is fully dissolved in the oil. Once the mineral spirits in the PolyX flash off you're left with the oil and wax. Just buff off the oil and voilá.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, Clemenules said:

Turpentine would work but would also take quite some time to flash off.  If it were me i would use a solvent that has a somewhat faster flash time such as naphtha, xylene, or even butyl acetate.