can not get pine through planer

dairydave

I have been trying to plane some rough pine boards, but can not get it through the planer. It won't even do 1/16 inch. I tried white oak and had no problem at all.This is the first time  I tried pine since I installed a spiral head in the machine. Could this new head be the problem?

Thanks for any help.

What happens when you try to put it through? Will need more info on the failure to be able to diagnose a cause.

Does the motor bog down at cut off? Does the motor keep running at a constant speed but the board won’t advance? Is the board wider than your planer? :P

2 hours ago, curlyoak said:

I like silicone spray.

That's dangerous stuff to use in a wood shop. It only take miniscule traces of the stuff to wreak havoc with finishes. If you want a spray on solution, there's Bostik GlideCote, which works very well. It leaves a waxy film that seems to last as long as wax.

21 minutes ago, drzaius said:

That's dangerous stuff to use in a wood shop. It only take miniscule traces of the stuff to wreak havoc with finishes

I am very early in a project when I am using the planer. Most or all of it is off the wood by the time it is fully dressed. Anything remaining is removed from a lot of sanding. With never a problem in the last 40 years, I will still use silicone spray. I know your critique is all about good consideration. But I respectfully disagree. And you are not the first to make this point. After I spray I wipe with a cotton rag. Maybe that matters.

48 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

I am very early in a project when I am using the planer. Most or all of it is off the wood by the time it is fully dressed. Anything remaining is removed from a lot of sanding. With never a problem in the last 40 years, I will still use silicone spray. I know your critique is all about good consideration. But I respectfully disagree. And you are not the first to make this point. After I spray I wipe with a cotton rag. Maybe that matters.

Fair enough, but I just wanted to raise the flag on this one. I wouldn't want someone less experienced to dive into this & have problems with it. I have had to deal with silicone contamination & it can be extremely hard to completely clean the stuff off a surface. So I just keep it out of the shop to avoid the possibility of problems with it.