Dust collection in basement shop

thrax

Trouble with DC noise is that the unit it's self isn't so loud. I have an Oneida unit and it's quiet until I open up a blast gate. The sound at the gate is by far louder than the DC unit.

Only reason i point this out is because if the inlet was in another room I'd be able to stand by my unit without hearing protection no problems. So how they are measured may not be apples to apples comparison...... When i did my research the Laguna unit that is hepa certified had some sound dampening material added and would as a result far better in the noise area.

With a basement shop I'd suggest a hepa or similar certified filter unit. With my basement shop you'd never be able to tell that I generate around 70 gallons of sawdust a month. My shop stays very clean and the rest of the house and furnace filter have little to no impact as a result. Before the hepa unit there was an impact on the furnace and rest of the house.

• 2 weeks later...

im in the process of either upgrading or the very least rearranging my system. after talking to the people at Oneida, they told that the HP involved with DC units is misleading the way that it has nothing to do with how much suction you're going to get. It is that The larger the propeller inside the motor requires more HP to spin. So yes that will mean, larger fans = more airflow = better suction. but if you're in a small shop with just a few tools, you don't need a huge fan moving air through 6" - 8" pipes. 

Many times I have read that small shops only require smaller dust collectors.     The facts are that you need 800 - 1000 cfm (OSHA vs the more restrictive Euro standards) at a table saw to collect the dust generated.  Physics is not suspended in a small shop.

Most small shop machines are rated with no ducting or filters attached.

I really don't care what people choose to use, but misinformation bugs me

To move 800-1000cfm through a 4" pipe the pressure difference would be beyond what consumer collectors are capable of. There isn't a single consumer grade saw that has a 6" dust port to the balde shroud. This isn't considering a sealed cabinet on a table saw and using a ZCI would never flow that much air either. Not sure where you got your numbers but they don't seem realistic for consumer grade tools.

Quoting OSHA and euro industrial standards is fine but most of us are not in industrial shops nor are we using industrial tools.

@thrax also consider the ease of mounting and dismounting the filter.  I know nothing about the Oneida, but R&R of the P-Flux filter is preferably a two person job.  I've done it by myself, but it's an exercise in ingenuity and perseverance.  The Air Shim is instrumental.